Discuss Is it time to leave the industry in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You'll be happy to know i did a 4 year apprenticeship ;D! I don't really know how it is out there as I got laid of due to boss being an idiot..........

My girlfriends sisters bf seems to be busy, he earning around 1k a week.. Thats what im aspiring to lol!

Unfortunately that is the state of the industry at present.

There's 2 main BIG problems....mass foriegn labour and fast track retraining.....both of which are taking the quality out of not only the electrical trade but alot of other trades aswell.

While it all sux at the moment all we can do is hang on in there and do what we collectively can to try and keep standards up.

Gone are the days of 'loada-a-money!'....at least for now until the next FOTM trade gets hit hard and the retrainers go for that trade instead (remember afew years back when alot of people retrained as Plumbers and hit that trade hard?)...though unsure what trade that will be.

25yrs back i left school and went straight into electrical apprenticeship...back when sparkies where sparkies and the guy training you wouldn't let you connect anything until you could pass him the right tool without him asking. Now you get people expecting to work straight on the tools from the first day! AND then someone comes along to sign the work of for them without checking too much (at times i've seen jobs signed off by a QS while sat at thier desk!).

To the OP all i can say is hang in there and i admire the fact that instead of just folding up your continueing to use your staff as subbies...many companies wouldn't give thier staff that much consideration so i'm sure behind the few moans and whines your staff appreciate you'll keep using them all. When the dust has settled and certain 'electricians' have returned home or hit another country there's going to be a big gap to fill so be there ready and set up to help fill it.

Last edited by a moderator:
imported "tradesmen" and 5 week short coarses (sorry Guitarist but the word 'apprenticeships' in this regard just feels wrong *winks*) have only added to the skill shortage so for once the government are correct in thier assessment

imported "tradesmen" and 5 week short coarses (sorry Guitarist but the word 'apprenticeships' in this regard just feels wrong *winks*) have only added to the skill shortage so for once the government are correct in thier assessment

I always knew the Government must know what they are talking about :)

Btw, it was a Minister I heard on the radio last year who used the term "apprenticeship" when describing the new short training courses.

Well i have clearly hit a nerve. I'm not quite sure that a problem shared is a problem halved in this particular instance. I'm now considering writing to the government. Does anyone know if someone is already lobbying for the 'community'? Perhaps I can draft something outlining the biggest problems we face and perhaps have some sort of support from the forum organisers as a reference petition or similar?

I genuinely have thought of all the different angles about how to survive in this climate and we are trying. However, I dont think that it is a fair playing field and the staus quo is actually encouraging foul play.

I believe the practice of electricians was developing a better reputation, but this is fast disappearing. I'm so sick of putting right other people's work- its so demoralising. But, its work and we all have bills. Very sad

Unfortunately, I don't think MP's actually have a clue about trades in general, let alone ours. I will be writing to my MP soon, as I believe (hope) he is one of the more down-to-earth politicians. I'm sure there will be lots of "assuring you" and "fully understand" phrases, but nothing will actually come of it. Oh well, at least we have to try, if only to fail....

Reply to Is it time to leave the industry in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net