Discuss Is there a Part P for plumbing? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Silly Sausage

Sometimes I'd be quite happy to follow the letter of the law.

If there isn't, there should be an equivalent Part P for plumbing.
Having just spent 2 hours grovelling around my mates 93 year old nextdoor neighbours bog, I wish I could've said 'Sorry, I'm not scam registered, that'll cost you an extra £200 to pay for your local town hall council internee's expenses' so I can't do this.

Why would anyone want to be a plumber?

Sometimes I'd be quite happy to follow the letter of the law.

If there isn't, there should be an equivalent Part P for plumbing.
Having just spent 2 hours grovelling around my mates 93 year old nextdoor neighbours bog, I wish I could've said 'Sorry, I'm not scam registered, that'll cost you an extra £200 to pay for your local town hall council internee's expenses' so I can't do this.

Why would anyone want to be a plumber?

Most Plumbing Works are covered by various Building Regulations and Water Supplier Regulations.

These Regulations are Legally Binding and breaches can lead to Prosecution.

Chris

Just carrying on this thread, could Chris Murphy or anyone else outline what plumbing work is "notifiable". And which work requires you to have some sort of registration. Gas? Non-vented hot water heaters? What else?

Just carrying on this thread, could Chris Murphy or anyone else outline what plumbing work is "notifiable". And which work requires you to have some sort of registration. Gas? Non-vented hot water heaters? What else?

"Hello HandySparks",

Although I have written some VERY Long Posts on the Forum - Your Question would require far too much Detail to answer it specifically - there are HUNDREDS of pages of Information relating to what You have asked - These would be referenced from various Building Regulations - Water Authority Regulations etc.

Trying to put the Answer in VERY Simple terms - Almost Everything in Plumbing is Notifiable either under the Building Regulations or Water Authority Regulations - Except for `Straight Swaps` - for example a New W.C. or Bathroom Suite.

BUT - even those cases would only NOT be Notifiable If nothing had to be Upgraded to conform to the current Building Regulations or Water Authority Regulations.

As soon as something has to be Upgraded to meet current Standards / Regulations the entire Installation is then Notifiable to either the Local Authority Building Control Department the Water Authority Regulations Department - or Both.

There are various Competent Persons Schemes for Plumbers - and Water Authority Approved Plumbers Schemes - various Registration Requirements apply including Proof of Nationally Recognised Qualifications - additionally the Water Regulations Exam Pass must be Held and Proof of Public Liability Insurance - Work / Installation Records are also required to be kept [for a period of Years]

Registered / Approved Plumbers can `Self Certify` their Works as complying with the Building Regulations and Water Authority Regulations - this means that the Works are not generally required to be Inspected by a Building Control Officer or Water Authority Inspector - Although of course some works are Inspected as examples / Checks.

These Self Certified Works are still Notified either through the Competent Persons Scheme or through the Approved Plumbers Scheme.

The Plumbing Competent Persons Schemes and the Water Authority Approved Plumbers Schemes carry out regular Job Inspections to ensure that Plumbers are complying / adhering to the Building Regulations and Water Authority Regulations.

Sorry that I cannot write a definitive List of Plumbing Works that require Notification - But that would just be Too Much of a Task.

I should add that many `Plumbers` do NOT Notify their Works - or belong to any Competent Persons / Approved Plumbers Schemes.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to Is there a Part P for plumbing? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net