Discuss Is there any difference in inspecting and testing a school, to a domestic install? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: Is there any difference in inspecting and testing a school, to a domestic install

Non different! Inspection& Testing is just that no variations!

Re: Is there any difference in inspecting and testing a school, to a domestic install

Hi can anyone give me any infomation pointers in regards to inspecting and testing a school.

If you've only got domestic installation experience then I might question your competence for this work, you should be familiar with the type of installation to be inspected.

Are you familiar with 3-phase systems-you will find most schools are 3-phase for kitchen, woodwork, metalwork supplies etc. as well as the general distribution system.

Nightshift/out of hours is a must for obvious safety reasons and you may need access equipment for main hall/gymnasium lighting.

The caretakers can be a great help for locating difficult to find circuits etc. always get a mobile number!

In classrooms, always check behind posters and pictures for switches/sockets, they always get covered up!

Anything else specific, just ask, we do about 40 schools a year!

3 phase all ok.
If you've only got domestic installation experience then I might question your competence for this work, you should be familiar with the type of installation to be inspected.

Are you familiar with 3-phase systems-you will find most schools are 3-phase for kitchen, woodwork, metalwork supplies etc. as well as the general distribution system.

Nightshift/out of hours is a must for obvious safety reasons and you may need access equipment for main hall/gymnasium lighting.

The caretakers can be a great help for locating difficult to find circuits etc. always get a mobile number!

In classrooms, always check behind posters and pictures for switches/sockets, they always get covered up!

Anything else specific, just ask, we do about 40 schools a year!

What ya messin at!!!!!!!!!
Get stuck in. Just have your wits about ya and think what ure do'in.

Pay consideration to the change in external influences as well.

Phase balancing , loading , also wiring methods clipped direct how the cables are protected , seen a school where the cables were clipped direct down a wall it was full of holes due to a bored pupil and a compass , and i know its petty but make sure you check every socket for the shutters are working you'd be suprised whats stuck in the things , also positioning of consumer units , placing out of reach ,as widdler has said too , the testing is very much the same just normally three phase , but but rigorouse with the visual side

Don’t be too surprised if you can’t get any readings from the sockets in the science labs. They are usually supplied via “Blackley Units (Transformers with RCD’s & MCB’s)”. Also, make sure the isolators and emergency stops are functional in the workshops.

Reply to Is there any difference in inspecting and testing a school, to a domestic install? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net