Discuss Is this dangerous in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Flick24

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
We've noticed these scorch marks and cracks appeared on 3 different sockets, what is causing this, its a private rented place.

Attachments

• IMG_20200824_133627.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20200824_133655.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 72
What is normally being plugged into the sockets?
[automerge]1598338100[/automerge]
And yes, in short the sockets should not be used until they have been changed.
There is obvious thermal damage to them.
However it is important to get to the root cause as it could happen to the new sockets.

What is normally being plugged into the sockets?
[automerge]1598338100[/automerge]
And yes, in short the sockets should not be used until they have been changed.
There is obvious thermal damage to them.
However it is important to get to the root cause as it could happen to the new sockets.
Just a phone charger in one, a keyboard in the other.... There is also an old storage heater socket with similar smaller mark on, but that has never been turned on.
[automerge]1598339816[/automerge]

Attachments

• IMG_20200824_133600.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Ok, I have a suspicion that you have recently moved in?
It is likely that the previous Tennant had plugged in heater/s to the sockets in question.

Do you have a copy of the electrical inspection report? (EICR)

I would still avoid using the sockets that are obviously damaged, they could cause damage to the pins of the plugs you put in to them.

The sockets could have been like that years without anyone really noticing , probably from something like a portable heater plugged in and left on...
However ‘Browning’ of the faceplate like that should be picked up on any end of tenancy eicr , and then ideally changed For new ones.
Not imminently dangerous but need changing non the less

We are moving out, I never noticed them when we moved in, they have always had something plugged in, not always on.. I just unplugged everything to clean and saw the marks and cracks so wasn't sure if it was from whats been plugged in or an internal issue with the socket.

Looks like two MK accessories and one cheap socket. Two have cracked facings.
On the surface, it appears that heating appliances have caused this. It could be prolonged overheating, loose fixed wiring in the terminals, loose socket connections. I would certainly check the wiring behind the accessories and replace where necessary.

Ok, I have a suspicion that you have recently moved in?
It is likely that the previous Tennant had plugged in heater/s to the sockets in question.

Do you have a copy of the electrical inspection report? (EICR)

I would still avoid using the sockets that are obviously damaged, they could cause damage to the pins of the plugs you put in to them.
The agents said the property doesn't have a EICR report

I cant see the laptop or phone charger causing that. The quality of those old MK accessories is usually good also. Probably a heavy load has been plugged in for long periods of time at some time before. They should be be used until they are changed.

I cant see the laptop or phone charger causing that. The quality of those old MK accessories is usually good also. Probably a heavy load has been plugged in for long periods of time at some time before. They should be be used until they are changed.

I think you mean shouldn't :)

but a psychiatrist would argue that the sockets wanted to change. :p :p

The OP asked if what they posted was dangerous, the answer is No, this is what you call dangerous I

think his name is long john something or the other.
Chipper.jpg

Thankfully he seems quite good at balancing on one leg.

A skill he may well find useful in later life if he carries on doing things like that.

We can only hope that the machine was not running at the time (I have my doubts)

Reply to Is this dangerous in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net