Discuss Is this safe? Acceptable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there. Looking to get some advice on some work we’re having done: Kitchen installers have installed a socket under the sink by these pipes. They ran it by me on the plans and it seemed sensible from an access pov but seeing it makes me feel concerned that if those pipes sprung a leak we could create a hazard. I’m I being overly cautious? Should I be telling them to reposition it? They haven’t supplied a certificate yet.

Thanks in advance!
D9D65A74-CE31-4F78-8F8C-EE61DBF37C53.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not normally a problem, but the washing machine hose connection is the weak spot and most likely to leak. Under pressure, water will come out sideways and spray the socket.

Although it would be easier to alter the pipework, I think the flexes of the appliances are being strained against the back board of the cabinet.

Cut the hole bigger.

Would you know if this double socket is on the ring, or is it switched from above the worktop?

I’m thinking that’s two high powered appliances plugged in? Washing machine and dishwasher?

Might be too much for the double if both on together.

Technically either way would be correct going by the regulations, but still could be an issue… especially as I said the flexes are against the back board and could be getting pulled out the socket

Would you know if this double socket is on the ring, or is it switched from above the worktop?

I’m thinking that’s two high powered appliances plugged in? Washing machine and dishwasher?

Might be too much for the double if both on together.

Technically either way would be correct going by the regulations, but still could be an issue… especially as I said the flexes are against the back board and could be getting pulled out the socket
Heya. Yep, this socket is on the ring. Widening the hole is an easy option so I’ll def look at doing that. Cheers.

This is pretty standard these days for new kitchens , literally see it all the time

What I might have been inclined to do myself was if there was some slack on the original cables would have been to pull them through a small hole in the back panel then mount 2 x single sockets onto surface boxes on the left side panel

But too late now given the the socket is now in and the bog hole cut out for it

Really closeness of pipes and cables not a concern. Have you looked under your floorboards recently.
You’ll find pipes, junctions etc in close proximity to non waterproof junction boxes with all sorts of electrics in them.
If there’s a leak in a ceiling water finds it’s way out, usually through the nearest light.
Don’t worry about it.

It would be easier to rework the plumbing away from the socket if it is of concern. Not ideal but at the same time a low risk. Agree with @littlespark that the load may be too great on the sockets, depends on what is on the other end of the plugs and the rating of them. The thing that most worries me is the socket is not level.

Nothing to do with your question…. But I knew I had this pic somewhere…

View attachment 99913
I’ll have a tin of that please, 200 self-tapping nails, some sky hooks and a left handed screwdriver. Oh and four candles.

On a serious note BS1363 stipulates the testing a double socket design must receive. I think it’s subject to a 20 amp load shared between the two sockets and temperature measured after 4-8 hours testing.
I’d agree it would be worth checking the actual current draw of these two appliances to see if it’s pushing the design beyond that. With more modern appliances it’s less likely.

(If required a dual box could be fitted and two singles.)

If a kitchen fitter butchered my new unit like that, they wouldn't be getting paid. Very poor workmanship, and as mentioned in posts above, the sockets should be two singles in a dual box, mounted nearer the front of the cabinet, so as to be accessible. (Read the instruction books for the appliances - they probably say that power should be switched off when not in use).

Sadly that seems to be the way of the world these days.
I do a lot of work for 2 kitchen companies...never seen a unit butchered like that one. In fairness none of the kitchen fitters I know would ever leave a unit like that...it would look better if the back of the unit was removed rather than that mess

I do a lot of work for 2 kitchen companies...never seen a unit butchered like that one. In fairness none of the kitchen fitters I know would ever leave a unit like that...it would look better if the back of the unit was removed rather than that mess

Removable back would be the norm in a sink unit, rather than visibly butchered back and base.

I'd also be seriously peeved if a socket was thrown at the wall in this way. It's not as though it takes any more effort to fix it level.

RAF. not level. hole buchred ib back of unit, typical kitchen fiiters work.

Just noticed part of a drawer runner in the pic., so might be a drawer unit with the drawers removed.
Still rough as a badger's, but at least it's hidden, (along with both the water and electrical isolators.)

If a kitchen fitter butchered my new unit like that, they wouldn't be getting paid. Very poor workmanship, and as mentioned in posts above, the sockets should be two singles in a dual box, mounted nearer the front of the cabinet, so as to be accessible. (Read the instruction books for the appliances - they probably say that power should be switched off when not in use).
I'm not sure I would have them finishing the job if I saw them doing that butchery

It's not perfect, but it's not fundamentally wrong, and it's what you have now. Make an opening for the cables to come through and fit a splash guard across the opening with a bit of perspex or a scrap of hardboard, I expect the kitchen fitters left loads of that lying around

Hi there. Looking to get some advice on some work we’re having done: Kitchen installers have installed a socket under the sink by these pipes. They ran it by me on the plans and it seemed sensible from an access pov but seeing it makes me feel concerned that if those pipes sprung a leak we could create a hazard. I’m I being overly cautious? Should I be telling them to reposition it? They haven’t supplied a certificate yet.

Thanks in advance!View attachment 99910
I'd rip it out, fit 2 single patresses, then the plugs would stand a bit proud of the cardboard instead of the flexes being bent, and the chances of not being inserted fully.

Reply to Is this safe? Acceptable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net