Discuss Isolator position for immersion heater? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
just after some advice.
I've wired a new s plan system which has gone fine.
plumber has installed a pressurised tank in loft and I have wired the immersion to the customers off peak supply. The isolator for the immersion is in the Airing cupboard along with wiring centre and programmer.
They have had another electrician doing some work (I was working for plumber) and he has said I haven't followed regs regarding isolator for immersion? What's everyone's thoughts on this, I'm within 2M but it's in loft above, thought this would be easier for user to isolate.
many thanks
Jon

If the isolator is installed in a remote location from the equipment then it needs to be of a lockable type permanently labelled as to what it isolates and ideally permanent labelling at the piece of equipment to make it clear where the isolator is located. The isolator should be adjacent to the cylinder with the possibly another switch located elsewhere for convenience if the customer wishes.
However I don't understand how you have an S plan heating system and an off peak immersion? The two are surely mutually exclusive?

Point taken ill fit another isolator in loft. The immersion came built in tank as an extra to heat water electrically if the boiler fails.
Cheers

Yes, a backup immersion is normal obviously. It's not normal to have it on an an off-peak supply as your customer will be wasting their money paying for an off peak service which they never use!

So is it a point of isolation? Or is it to turn just to turn it on and off if boiler stops working, if that's the case then you put it in the right place,

So is it a point of isolation? Or is it to turn just to turn it on and off if boiler stops working, if that's the case then you put it in the right place,

Yes it's fine there as a switch, but a means of isolation should be fitted adjacent to the equipment for maintainence.

Hi everyone,
just after some advice.
I've wired a new s plan system which has gone fine.
plumber has installed a pressurised tank in loft and I have wired the immersion to the customers off peak supply. The isolator for the immersion is in the Airing cupboard along with wiring centre and programmer.
They have had another electrician doing some work (I was working for plumber) and he has said I haven't followed regs regarding isolator for immersion? What's everyone's thoughts on this, I'm within 2M but it's in loft above, thought this would be easier for user to isolate.
many thanks
Jon
No idea this time lol regarding the regs on the isolator, but I always stick it next to the element with a flex around a foot long max, anything else is just plain daft IMO.

No idea this time lol regarding the regs on the isolator, but I always stick it next to the element with a flex around a foot long max, anything else is just plain daft IMO.
what if the element terminals are more than a foot away from the nearest airing cupboard wall, as is the case in 95% of situations?

but not in the loft if the immersion is in a cupboard below

​of course i agree, esp if it's in a terraced house where next door could tap in their weed farm.

Yes it's fine there as a switch, but a means of isolation should be fitted adjacent to the equipment for maintainence.

sorry Dave didn't make the job very clear earlier (on the i phone). The old set up was an off peak supply so the existing cable was used for this immersion heater. The customer has also had their own sparks in who is completing a DB change so the immersion will be on normal tariff after DB change.
He's disconnected the IMM supply too as he wouldn't sign the work off with my set up. Doesn't make me look too good :-(

yeah totally agree with it next to elements on most set ups. As it was in the loft I thought it would be awkward for the user to have to go up there to switch off. But i'll hold my hands up I should of put 2 in to comply.
Anyone know the reg for this, trying to find it.

Thanks for all replies too :)

I think that other sparks sounds like a bit of a t###, surely this minor issue could have been resolved with less fuss ?
I assume you fitted a flex outlet plate near the cylinder in the loft jstephens 251 - or possibly H/R flex all the way from the DP switch in the airing cupboard ? Either way I think a simple label near the cylinder with isolator location etc would be fine IMO.

Reply to Isolator position for immersion heater? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net