Discuss Issues with old light fitting replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DIYdan

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all.

Removed an ancient light fitting, replaced with a newer one, the light comes on but can't be turned off with the switch. It was working before. Any idea where I'm going wrong? The old light fitting had all neutral and all live to the wrapped and inserted into the corresponding terminals and then the seperate black wire elsewhere which I'm guessing is for the switch. I'm trying to replace with a ceiling rose. Thanks

Attachments

• 20240415_113042.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240415_113049.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 26
Can you show how it is currently connected?
Hi, it's as shown in the pic now. I had all the live to the live and all the neutral to neutral, the singular black wire I thought at first to be earth but it wasn't, I tried placing it in the loop section but still no light switch functionality and I also tried placing it in a neutral point but that then flipped the fuse

The single black is the return from the switch this goes to the live of the light. Keep all the reds together but not connected to the light. The other blacks are neutral. Those bare earths tucked into the ceiling need sleeving and correctly connecting together, I suspect they are just twisted. Does the light need an earth?
What connectors are you using for all those wires?

The single black is the return from the switch this goes to the live of the light. Keep all the reds together but not connected to the light. The other blacks are neutral. Those bare earths tucked into the ceiling need sleeving and correctly connecting together, I suspect they are just twisted. Does the light need an earth?
What connectors are you using for all those wires?
Ahh so the single black wire goes to live. That's where I must have been going wrong then. There isn't enough space on the rose so I'll join all the reds and blacks via a wago. The earth wire were like that when I pulled the socket so doesn't seem to be needed.

So just to confirm all reds to live, all neutrals to neutral and then the single black to live aswell. I'll be back at the house shortly so will hook it all up and report back. Thanks for the assist.

I don't do a lot of stuff that causes me issues, I mostly do games console repairs, but each time I've come here it's been super quick replies and great help, so thanks very much, I appreciate you 👍

No the reds together but not connected to the light the only live to the light is that single black. What sort of light are you fitting because those earths and all connections require correct enclosures, not pushed into the ceiling. Maybe this should be left to a professional.

No the reds together but not connected to the light the only live to the light is that single black. What sort of light are you fitting because those earths and all connections require correct enclosures, not pushed into the ceiling. Maybe this should be left to a professional.
The reds were all connected together and connected into the old fitting, along with the blacks and single black wire. I'm trying to replace it with a rose fitting

If it was an old batten holder they would have been connected to a terminal on it this was the loop but it was just a terminal for those wires. If you are fitting a rose all those wires including the earths need connecting within it. This can be done but is possibly beyond what you can do.

If it was an old batten holder they would have been connected to a terminal on it this was the loop but it was just a terminal for those wires. If you are fitting a rose all those wires including the earths need connecting within it. This can be done but is possibly beyond what you can do.
Yeah the fitting was ancient. OK so using the modern rose needs the earths connecting aswell.

So all live and neutral connected.

Single black wire to loop and then connect the earths once I've shielded them.

I'm sorry to say that is a totally inappropriate and dangerous way to do it. Unenclosed connections in the ceiling void are a fire hazard so you created a potentially dangerous situation. Is it your house?

I'm sorry to say that is a totally inappropriate and dangerous way to do it. Unenclosed connections in the ceiling void are a fire hazard so you created a potentially dangerous situation. Is it your house?
The connections are enclosed within the connectors. There is no void, just a little plaster chipped away

OMG, a rewire is imminent lol

Reply to Issues with old light fitting replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net