Discuss JIB Gold Card? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
This is probably on here somewhere already but if someone could give me an answer I would be grateful...
I have C&G 2360 parts 1&2 (with distinctions all units!) , C&G 2382, C&G 2391, C&G 2399......
I did not complete a formal apprenticship, but If I do the NVQ3 will I be able to get a JIB Gold Card?
Thanks

Yes, I agree. But if someone is going down the adult learning route then it is not always an option as most employers will not pay the ÂŁ500+ for the AM2.

With 2357 C&G have made the AM2 a mandatory part.
This will weed out the Electrical Trainee IMO

Ok so if I gained my C&G parts 1&2 in 1991 would I only need the AM2 or would I also need the NVQ3 now?

The JIB seem to contradict themselves where in one instance they say either and in another both.
Joint Industry Board

1.2 Approved Electrician

Qualification and TrainingMust satisfy the following four conditions:(1) Must have been a registered Apprentice or undergone some equivalent method of training and have had practical training in electrical installation work.(2) Must have obtained an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation work (or approved equivalent) - See Note 1.(3) Must have had two years' experience working as an Electrician subsequent to the satisfactory completion of training and immediately prior to the application for this grade.(4) Must have demonstrated competence and obtained a suitable qualification (the City & Guilds 2391 or the EAL Level 3 Diploma in Inspecting and Testing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipement (500/3542/3) are suitable qualifications) in the inspection, testing and commissioning of installations - see Note 2.Note 1: If the applicant meets the other three criteria but has not achieved an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation, then a "Provisional" grading may be awarded if the following criteria are both satisfied:(a) have obtained at least the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course Certificate or EAL Diploma in Electrotechnical Services (500/3526/5 (Or approved equivelent).(b) have obtained Achievement Measurement 2 or must be able, with the application for Grading and any other relevant supporting evidence (i.e. the City & Guilds Electricians Certificate) which may be required, to satisfy the Grading Committee of his experience and suitability.

http://www.ett-ni.org/media/5dbf4fcb16bf419983aa190b9ed5a61eJIB Card Application Form.pdf

CRAFT CARD ELECTRICIAN / INDUSTRY ACCREDITATION A copy of Apprenticeship Deeds or Completion Certificate, plus bona fide references from your
employers.
OR City & Guilds 2360 Parts One & Two achieved before 1996, plus AM2 Test, plus bona fide
references from your employers.
CRAFT CARD ELECTRICIAN
City & Guilds 2360 Parts One & Two or 2351 or 2330 Levels Two & Three, plus NVQ Level 3 in your
appropriate Electrical Discipline plus bona fide references from your employers.

APPROVED ELECTRICIAN
Mandatory requirements for this grade are the City and Guilds 17th edition and the City and Guilds
2391 Testing Inspection and Certification certificates or equivalent.

Its the damn health and safety exam every 2 years that gets me, my card expires next month, so I have to spend ÂŁ30 on an impossible to fail exam (lets face it, its stupidly easy) that ive already done. The worst part is its a 250mile round trip to my nearest test centre. what a joke.

I have to agree with Durham even though I'm carrying one of their gold cards. It's about time the ones in power gave the JIB some big sharp pointy teeth rather than them being a slight drain on our resources

Its the damn health and safety exam every 2 years that gets me, my card expires next month, so I have to spend ÂŁ30 on an impossible to fail exam (lets face it, its stupidly easy) that ive already done. The worst part is its a 250mile round trip to my nearest test centre. what a joke.

I just did mine last Tuesday. Got the 'cert' yesterday. PITA but they have you by the short n curlies.

I got my ecs card last week C&G 2360 PART 1 AND 2,16TH AND 17TH EDITION AND 2391.

Adult trainee as no nvq 3,well another ÂŁ500 to fork out sometime soon,cant be a trainee forever lol.

^^^yep, It's an absolute joke, anyone whos in that exam room longer than 15 minutes needs shooting!

But there again on a firm I worked for, eighteen of us went for it three failed. Two apprentices and one sparks. Our foreman wouldn't let us know who failed tho which is a shame.

But there again on a firm I worked for, eighteen of us went for it three failed. Two apprentices and one sparks. Our foreman wouldn't let us know who failed tho which is a shame.

And there are installing electrical systems? God help that firm! A trained monkey could pass that test, you get the answer book FFS!

Any idea what an Irish trained electrician needs to do to get a JIB card? And what grade would I get, considering I have three years post apprenticeship experience.

Reply to JIB Gold Card? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net