Discuss Jib wage in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dannyboisparky1

Hi I just wanna know where I stand with my wages. I have recently become an approved spark.My company is a member of the JIB and have told me that due to the current climate I will not be getting the rate, despite having 8 sparks on that rate and recently taking on an approved spark giving them the relevant rate. Looking for answers on if I've got a good case to fight for this, please help

When I worked for a JIB member company many many years ago it was made clear they operated with a certain number of approved sparks and a certain number of sparks if you wanted to become approved and they had enough approved sparks the only option was to move on to get the rate or stay on the sparks rate

Don't know if your company operates any policy like that although in the current climate if you push too hard for the rate you may just get shown the door

Dannybois, Farmelectrics is correct. If you have passed the C&G to qualify as an Approved and you work for a JIB Employer you are entitled to the JIB rate and the Union is the mechanism to enforce payment. However there is an obvious risk as the company you work for seem to have taken a position i.e. they are not prepared to pay. I am a little concerned by your comment that they have recently taken on an Approved and are paying the rate. Just how recent is this? And is it before or after you qualified? And has anything changed significantly since they recruited this Approved Electrician? You can talk to the Union. They will contact your Employer and if needs be take them through the JIB disputes procedure, however before you do this consider the answers to the questions I've raised as undoubtedly there is a risk. good luck!

Not been told of any policy like that. My company wants us all approved and have provided the 2391 course but don't want to pay the rate. I was happy to leave it up until they employed the approved spark and gave him the rate. It's the principle!
Fair point about pushing too hard which I won't do. Thanks for your advice.

They employed three sparks about a month ago due to increase of work load only one was approved. They took on a approved spark two years ago and we have a few approved sparks which have been with the company for years. Currently I'm the only approved spark not on the rate. I qualified in feb but taken time getting my jib card I put the rate form in last week. Nothing has changed in the company to my knowledge but you know what big companies are like they can keep things quiet for a while but we have a lot of work with a contract for a housing association.
Although I can see a risk with the situation as explained anybody would dispute this decision wouldn't they?

They are obliged to pay the rate otherwise it is a breach of contract and a criminal offence. Don't let them away with it - they can't get rid of you. They are breaking the law and should be thrown out of the JIB.

They are obliged to pay the rate otherwise it is a breach of contract and a criminal offence. Don't let them away with it - they can't get rid of you. They are breaking the law and should be thrown out of the JIB.

They may be breaking JIB rules as for breaking the law not aware of any law that says the JIB rates must be paid

Hi I just wanna know where I stand with my wages. I have recently become an approved spark.My company is a member of the JIB and have told me that due to the current climate I will not be getting the rate, despite having 8 sparks on that rate and recently taking on an approved spark giving them the relevant rate. Looking for answers on if I've got a good case to fight for this, please help

Can you clarify when & how please (in red). This is relevant as years ago you could have the paper qualification but not the actual card. It was the case that approved status would only be granted with the sponsorship of the employer, (a subjective evaluation of your ability to supervise other sparks. Programming work, allocating work, & resolving relevant issues arising from that work), a situation that could be manipulated to suit the prevailing wind.

Reply to Jib wage in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net