Discuss Job pricing in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DurhamSparky

Sorry chaps i know you aint here to price my jobs but im getting mixed reactions from customers regarding pricing, some say WOW some say HOW the **** you get that!! its only bit of cable and metal..

Just examples of jobs i priced this week

i wont say if i got them or not just guagung your oppinion

Power to a SHED

2x lenght of 3m 20mm steel conduit (shaped in to nice angles) and 2x stop ends,
1x Unswitched FCU and Box 13a with 7m worth of 2.5mm rubber Cable,
1x Switched FCU 3a and Box 1m worth of 1mm cable and a Light
2 x 2G 13a Sockets

full tests and Building notification
also trench digging for conduit and drilling off wall and bit of surface trunking insde house

ÂŁ110 all in...!!

out door light on house wall...

1x FCU 3a & cavity box
1x 500w PIR
2m of 1.5mm Rubber flex

Certificate and Building notification

ÂŁ80.00

garage conversion

new supply cable 12m of 16mm 3 core swa + DP Isolator
new 4w RCD CU + mcbs
40m of 2.5 t&e
5 socket outlets
pendant and switches and cabling 15m 1.5mm
10m of 6m T+E plus cooker flate and outlet

certs and building notification

ÂŁ500

Item 1 too cheap ( why conduit and not SWA )
Item 2 too cheap
Item 3 about right ( all metalclad accessories I assume)

First one think your robbing yourself, second one I would say is about right and the third I would expect more. Saying that I'm in London rates vary so much on location.

Last edited by a moderator:
no metaclad stuff in garage conversion apart from teh box im terminating into (directly underneath Insulated Cu)

i will use SWA when i shifted my lengths of Conduit!!

not used conduit or swa before as never had a need for it!

i may actually use the coduit to make cable reels with if i dont shift it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you just desperate to have a go with the conduit as you've never used it before and trying to find an excuse;), I will admit I have done several jobs in the past in conduit that probably didn't need it because I just wanted to have a go and feel like a plumber for a couple of days :D

Stolen from Bugsy because I agree,

Item 1 too cheap ( why conduit and not SWA )
Item 2 too cheap
Item 3 about right ( all metalclad accessories I assume)

No.1 Very cheap
No.2 Spot on
No.3 Slightly cheap

Considering the extra time and materials needed for the shed compared to the outside light you need a lot more than ÂŁ30 extra....

I would say 1 and 3 are to cheap m8 especially number1! Conduit takes time and a good bit of effort and I honestly would charge double what your taking. I would say thats a good 5 or 6 hours work and if they can get anyone cheaper then no loss unless you're a bit slack.

No2 I would say about right but no less for sure!

No3 I would add another ÂŁ100 onto that!

Obviously I've not seen the jobs but that would be my opinion I suppose it all depends hou busy you are.

Cheers

On 3 where you say 'building notification' do you mean you are actually going to notify building control i.e. you arent on a compentent course? Cos if you are, I'd charge another 100 for the job, another 100 for the notification and use the money to get registered!!!

I'm agreeing with everyone here

1. I'd quote at least double
2. I'd want another 10, probably would quote another 15-20 for haggling purposes
3. another 50-100.

And I am not in a particularly highly priced area.

Going back to the original point, you will always, ALWAYS get people who go 'what, all that for a bit of wire you must be joking blah blah'. These people are what are known as misers, and in a more affluent economical climate I would recommend walking away from the jobs because everything you do will be wrong, and getting your money will be like getting man-fat from a breezeblock.

worried you hadn't for a sec:), m8s company add around 35-40% for commercial and industrial work, are you going to have a different rate for commercial.

number1.) is a joke, far too cheap.

number 2). still cheap but a bit better.

number 3). about 600-650 would be about right.

numbers 1 and 2) ,if you have had to travel to the job to quote and then travel again to do the job, by the time you subtract the material costs and work out total hours invested (inc travel) and your fuel/insurances/niceic fees/vehicle/tools/calibration,consumables and advertising costs & ahem TAX! i don,t see that you have a viable business you are just filling in time.

im staying cear of comercial at present, i dont have the time to take on them jobs..!!

job number 1 is 50 meteres away form my house
job 2 yes i underquoted!! but upside is i may have got follow up work with same householder and her 3 neighbours!!

im just trying to get work at min to spread my name, dont need the money from them jobs to live on just yet (luckily) but im learning every day what i need to price up!! :) only been trading for 6 weeks! :)

cheers chaps

steve

I did that when I started up go in cheap, learnt very quickly its hard to increase your prices once you've given someone a baseline to judge how much your charging them, when you go back and start charging them the going rate for other works they complain or you lose them. The three neighbors will talk to the other and compare prices and start asking questions.

im just trying to get work at min to spread my name, dont need the money from them jobs to live on just yet (luckily) but im learning every day what i need to price up!! :) only been trading for 6 weeks! :)

cheers chaps

steve[/QUOTE]

Are you still on resettlement then ;)

Reply to Job pricing in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net