Discuss Leaving jobs before completion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Your location says you are in canada, is the job in canada do you really want to tarnish your name you are not that long over there.

Another point, from reading your previous posts, would i be right in thinking you employ some boys. If you were to walk away have you other work lined up to send them to on monday morning.

Like voltz says a mediation would do no harm, but have you any intel of what is going on behind the scenes, is there another trade whispering in this guys ear poisoning him against you (architect, qs, building contractor etc).

He was, but as soon as he started thinking he could 'order' me about, I told him where to go. He told me that I have to ditch other customers to tend to him as he is a priority. I politely said that I can't, and that I have met your every request so far, but that this time, he's gonna have to wait a week for me to start second fix. Then he started telling me that the work toon too long, that we've cost him more money and that its not very good (despite the fact that every stage so far has been completed on time, on budget and to his satisfaction). He then took to being rude about my family and getting personal so I politely said that if he didn't like my services then please feel free to find someone else to finish the job.

He then essentially threw his rattle and told me to get lost.

Now he's realised that im for real, he knows he's buggered. He's begging me to do the work but he's still being a see you next Tuesday about it tryi NF to pass the blame for his own ineptitude on to me.

I didn't trust the guy from the word go, hence why it was materials up front, weekly payments for labour, and I've been proved right, the guy is a nob and a weasel.

I can easily do without the bother and am more than happy holding my head high if I walk away, yet I still feel like I shouldn't be leaving him in the proverbial.

He hates me, but he needs me. Without me, he's gonna be many thousands of pounds out of pocket!

Quite an interesting situation to be in.
then don't work for him, the only potential clients he will tell to avoid you would be the kind you want to avoid anyway

it might be worth sticking in though if you havent got more work lined up for the other guys or he could cause big issues etc

Work ain't the issue. Got plenty of it. Money ain't the issue either. Got plenty coming in.

It's as if I feel some sort of moral obligation towards the fella.

Weird seeing as that ain't the sort of person I normally am.

Usually, burning bridges is something I find solace in.

just roll up in a panzer next week. any hassle, give him an 88mm AP round up the jacksie.

..........He's paid for all labour and materials so far and everything is up to date. I'm owed nothing and owe him nothing.
Well you're in a very fortunate position that you can make this decision without financial implications of almost certainly not getting any monies that are owed if you decide to call it quits.

I'm sure you know there's no right or wrong answer, only your gut feel. You'll probably laugh but sometimes if I'm in the kind of position you are at the moment I do a full risk assessment. List the worse case scenario if you carry on with the job and it goes south then figure out what you'll stand to lose. Then look at the general trend of the deterioration of the relationship over the last few days or weeks and based on that make an educated prediction on how likely it will be that you will be able to finish the job and get paid given the history so far. Weigh the likelyhood of a premature departure along with the worst case cost scenario and make your bet accordingly.

We've prematurely parted company with clients a couple of times in the last 10 years and I don't regret either instance. At least if you are the one who decides to pull the plug you get the opportunity to exercise some damage control before you inform the customer.

Work ain't the issue. Got plenty of it. Money ain't the issue either. Got plenty coming in.

As said, I disagree with the burning bridges.

You say that you feel some obligation towards the fella. I suggest that in reality you feel an obligation to yourself to see a job through, despite relation difficulties. Personally speaking, I can't stand to be beaten. I would rather explore all possibilities to resolve any situation for the sake of closure but then choose not to do business with said parties in the future.

Your location says you are in canada, is the job in canada do you really want to tarnish your name you are not that long over there.

Another point, from reading your previous posts, would i be right in thinking you employ some boys. If you were to walk away have you other work lined up to send them to on monday morning.

Like voltz says a mediation would do no harm, but have you any intel of what is going on behind the scenes, is there another trade whispering in this guys ear poisoning him against you (architect, qs, building contractor etc).

Well, Canadians are almost French. And Nelson once said, that it is every Englishman’s duty to hate a Frenchman as you hate the devil. So I recon Damien’s client got it coming to him….lol.

haha. between rommel and a suicide pilot, customer has no chance.

Then you need to search long and hard to find the real reason you're feeling this way and only then can you decide whether to stay or go!

my penny worth is walk away head held high and look forward to the next difficult client with the Knowledge from the the last noob

Ive got one on the go atm who is a total xxxx and going to court over £150 quid after £5k job completed 6 months ago

I went self employed so I could choose my client, choose the work and enjoy life. I don't take %hit from anyone nowadays and would not think twice about dropping a difficult client. If the monies are tied off its a no brainer. Un=reasonable people have a reputation themselves so would not worry about him bad mouthing, could even be a perverse recommendation. lol - BTW , wheres the job...lol

Your not a registered charity, that's a vat number on your invoice.
Your in business to provide a professional service at a fair price and to date that's exactly what you have done.
Its all even at the moment, don't let your heart rule your head on this one.
Weigh up pro's and cons, put your points to him, if he's giving off bad vibes, walk away, and tell him why.
But do not go too deep into his pocket, that's when it comes right back and bites you on the proverbial.
My thoughts for what its worth Skelts.

Well you're in a very fortunate position that you can make this decision without financial implications of almost certainly not getting any monies that are owed if you decide to call it quits.

I'm sure you know there's no right or wrong answer, only your gut feel. You'll probably laugh but sometimes if I'm in the kind of position you are at the moment I do a full risk assessment. List the worse case scenario if you carry on with the job and it goes south then figure out what you'll stand to lose. Then look at the general trend of the deterioration of the relationship over the last few days or weeks and based on that make an educated prediction on how likely it will be that you will be able to finish the job and get paid given the history so far. Weigh the likelyhood of a premature departure along with the worst case cost scenario and shoot the b'stard!!

We've prematurely parted company with clients a couple of times in the last 10 years and I don't regret either instance. At least if you are the one who decides to pull the plug you get the opportunity to exercise some damage control before you inform the customer.

The AutoGeordie correct has corrected this for you at no charge to yourself.

If you have a one to one site meeting he might "have an accident" that might make him rethink his position and his attitude to you Damian. Dangerous places them building sites mate, you never know what's waiting for you just around the corner

If you have a one to one site meeting he might "have an accident" that might make him rethink his position and his attitude to you Damian. Dangerous places them building sites mate, you never know what's waiting for you just around the corner

lol...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 243
Sleeping on it is always a good idea.

Marvos suggestion of a written risk assessment is also very good.

The act of writing it down clarifies your thoughts etc. etc.

You mention that you are feeling bad for the guy even though he's being a prize muppet.

Is he behaving out of character due to the stress of the situation?

Or is he just a prize muppet and you are being uncharacteristically kind natured. :)

Reply to Leaving jobs before completion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net