Discuss Legal Details - Sockets - Where is the requirement for separate socket earths to be linked? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Interesting idea that I can kind-of believe. There was a strap across the back that was snapped off and lost during reverse-engineering of the original, and never made it onto the bill of materials for manufacturing the clones. But then, it seems unlikely that the original would have had two terminals. It's just odd.

Interesting idea that I can kind-of believe. There was a strap across the back that was snapped off and lost during reverse-engineering of the original, and never made it onto the bill of materials for manufacturing the clones. But then, it seems unlikely that the original would have had two terminals. It's just odd.

It's the fact that CEF stocks it that makes me wonder this, although I'd be prepared to believe that theirs are no different. I doubt that people who copy products worry to much about fully understanding function or why a design might have certain features, when they could be omitted to save fractions of a penny per unit.

Two earth terminals is fairly common on 2 gang sockets these days, so the jury is out in my mind. They might all be junk or there could equally be an original with linked terminals. Either way I don't think it's ideal that these are widely available, considering how many sockets are likely to be upgraded to USB units by homeowners.

Two earth terminals is fairly common on 2 gang sockets these days, so the jury is out in my mind.
If one leg of the CPC was placed in one terminal and the other leg in the other terminal the CPC would not be continuous. If both legs of the CPC were terminated into one terminal the other side would be unearthed, not good when using class 1 equipment.

If placed at the end of a radial circuit then one side would remain unearthed.

If the socket was fitted to a metal backbox then the risk would be reduced but as most boxes have a floating lug then continuity cannot be assured.

The above scenarios are based on DIY installation where testing is very rarely carried out.

Bit of a no brainer for me, I wouldn't install one and would strongly advise a customer to remove it if I saw one fitted.

If one leg of the CPC was placed in one terminal and the other leg in the other terminal the CPC would not be continuous. If both legs of the CPC were terminated into one terminal the other side would be unearthed, not good when using class 1 equipment.

If placed at the end of a radial circuit then one side would remain unearthed.

If the socket was fitted to a metal backbox then the risk would be reduced but as most boxes have a floating lug then continuity cannot be assured.

The above scenarios are based on DIY installation where testing is very rarely carried out.

Bit of a no brainer for me, I wouldn't install one and would strongly advise a customer to remove it if I saw one fitted.

I get the issue with the socket in question, but that issue is separate to the point I was trying (or rather failing) to make.

It was pointed out that CEF is selling a similar product and the implication was that their product would similarly be affected by this earthing issue. This raised the question in my mind whether this was a poorly designed product from one manufacturer, being sold under several brand names, or if there is a good quality original that has been badly copied by someone more concerned about profit than attention to detail.

The majority of sales made by Amazon will be made to consumers, most of whom will never be aware of potential earthing issues, and it frightens me to think how many installations may be relying on back boxes to maintain continuity, with many more having no continuity of CPC where dry wall or plastic surface boxes are fitted.

I get the issue with the socket in question, but that issue is separate to the point I was trying (or rather failing) to make.

It was pointed out that CEF is selling a similar product and the implication was that their product would similarly be affected by this earthing issue. This raised the question in my mind whether this was a poorly designed product from one manufacturer, being sold under several brand names, or if there is a good quality original that has been badly copied by someone more concerned about profit than attention to detail.
Only testing will tell

Reply to Legal Details - Sockets - Where is the requirement for separate socket earths to be linked? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net