Discuss Lighting joint box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Thought I’d share my experience from earlier on today to see if anyone else has had any relatively simple jobs that have turned into a nightmare lol!! Was changing a lighting joint box, marked the cables and must have been too busy chatting to apprentice that I’ve muddled up 2 of the reds. Couldn’t get the hall lights to work 2 way, the pic I had took prior to disconnecting it looked like a red was connected in with the blue, turned out it wasn’t. I had mixed up the bathroom feed with the switch wire for the toilet lights. Was there for an hour before I calmed myself down and found the error lol!!

Check out cooker hood not working, simple huh? No power, looked for the spur controlling COULD NOT find it. And I do mean I looked. Spent an hour and decided to put new feed to it. So far so good....Meanwhile I had bought a new hood as I found one in B&Q very cheap like £20 quid so I asked the customer should I buy it, as I had not even been to look at the job yet, yes was the answer. Ok good so new feed in new hood in, what should have been an hours work is now a days work. (I did refund the customer, and admitted my mistake) Came back another day and ended up in a kitchen cupboard (for whatever reason) and found the spur. They had pushed a cooking tray against the original spur and switched the spur off. Ok you can throw me out of the electricians arms now. And I have retired so I can't do any more harm. Funny thing is though, they would not call anyone else but me they literally loved me. Go figure eh?

Check out cooker hood not working, simple huh? No power, looked for the spur controlling COULD NOT find it. And I do mean I looked. Spent an hour and decided to put new feed to it. So far so good....Meanwhile I had bought a new hood as I found one in B&Q very cheap like £20 quid so I asked the customer should I buy it, as I had not even been to look at the job yet, yes was the answer. Ok good so new feed in new hood in, what should have been an hours work is now a days work. (I did refund the customer, and admitted my mistake) Came back another day and ended up in a kitchen cupboard (for whatever reason) and found the spur. They had pushed a cooking tray against the original spur and switched the spur off. Ok you can throw me out of the electricians arms now. And I have retired so I can't do any more harm. Funny thing is though, they would not call anyone else but me they literally loved me. Go figure eh?
No way haha!! That feeling in the pit of your stomach when your realise what you’ve done

Probably because of your honesty, if they trust you then they'll keep using you.

Reply to Lighting joint box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net