Discuss Lightwave RF Relay in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shibby84

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I am not a qualified electrician and am doing a little DIY project.

I want to automate the lights in my garage. I have lightwave RF in my house (sockets and switches) which are great but the switches only work on dimmer lights.

Iv brought a relay which I was hoping I could use instead of one of the switches in the garage. The switch has a brown, grey and black wire current going into (black - COM, brown - L1 and grey - L2).

I have tried brown to live and grey to neutral with black going into switch one. The relay gets power but lights don’t come on. Iv tried connecting the live and COM with an additional wire on the relay still nothing.

many help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• A94C2E0B-12F7-4601-B771-89095FE18E01.png
    693.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2418E928-6C08-4C9E-AA04-962F1BC65D37.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 12
That sort of switch is a two-way one, so you have one "live" and two "strappers" going to the equivalent on the 2nd switch (hence the brown sleeving to tell you they are basically line/live).

There is no usable neutral in that sort of arrangement so you would need to look at putting then smart switch somewhere else that has access to the neutral.

That sort of switch is a two-way one, so you have one "live" and two "strappers" going to the equivalent on the 2nd switch (hence the brown sleeving to tell you they are basically line/live).

There is no usable neutral in that sort of arrangement so you would need to look at putting then smart switch somewhere else that has access to the neutral.
Would you expect the other light switch in the garage to have this? I had a quick look and there were more wired placed into each terminal.

if there is a neutral at a switch, it will not connectinto the switch itself, but be in a separate choc block or wago. your other switch will have 1 wire in C and L1 and L2 will have 2 wires in each. but doubtful if there is a N. this will probably be at the light itself. Quinetic might be a better solution here.

if there is a neutral at a switch, it will not connectinto the switch itself, but be in a separate choc block or wago. your other switch will have 1 wire in C and L1 and L2 will have 2 wires in each. but doubtful if there is a N. this will probably be at the light itself. Quinetic might be a better solution here.

Thank you for your response. I have just checked behind the other switch and the two neutral wires are boxed

Do you think there is a way of wiring the relay here, even if it makes the other switch redundant?
FB8EA7E3-022A-4D74-B377-EB46982E3FE5.jpeg

Thank you for your response. I have just checked behind the other switch and the two neutral wires are boxed

Do you think there is a way of wiring the relay here, even if it makes the other switch redundant?
View attachment 63331
could be a plan, as the relay will need a N yout perm L and switched L will be in L1 and L2 of that switch, testing will confirm whic is which.

Can you use a LightwaveRF switch instead of a relay?
Also be aware you need the hub thingy to make them work via phone or Alexa.

There are other Wi-fi switches that can work direct with Alexa without a hub.

Can you use a LightwaveRF switch instead of a relay?
Also be aware you need the hub thingy to make them work via phone or Alexa.

There are other Wi-fi switches that can work direct with Alexa without a hub.
Hi, i have several lightwave power sockets and switches in the house already so the link is not a problem. The lightwave switch is only for dimming lights and in the garage I have fluorescent so wouldn’t work. I was hoping the relay was going to be an easy option but clearly not at the minute.

Reply to Lightwave RF Relay in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net