Discuss Location Is Everything in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

flatcat

...and I'm in the U.S.

Just spotted this friendly-appearing site to ask a generic question.
When I get to asking how-2 questions, had I better find a U.S. forum because the grids are different, or are you-all either from all over or conversant with all over?

Thanks!
Flatcat

Ask away, the science is the same and there are a few lads that are pretty clued up with the US systems, Engineer54 knows the systems and the NEC pretty much inside out. nice to have some US guys on here!, however be prepared for some gentle mocking of the US's methods and ways!

Welcome!

A few observations regarding our trade over here..........

there is no such thing as a "hot line" is either phase or line conductor
we work on 230v single phase or 400v 3 phase
we use RCD's
or testing is pretty involved and complicated
we hate wire nuts
we use ring circuits for mains power
we dont need consumer units (main panel) the size of a car to run a house

thats a start anyway :)

he's got another thread running, glenn. about leading horses to water but they won't drink'

A few observations regarding our trade over here..........

there is no such thing as a "hot line" is either phase or line conductor
we work on 230v single phase or 400v 3 phase
we use RCD's
or testing is pretty involved and complicated
we hate wire nuts
we use ring circuits for mains power
we dont need consumer units (main panel) the size of a car to run a house

thats a start anyway :)

so do them...

their called GFCIs....and are 15mA..for domestic use...

So I don't have to ask what an RCD is, nor tell you what Dorothy Parker said...
Actually, is an RCD something different/better than a GCFI?

OK, I'm going to try sorting out, separating the circuits in my house. The house is post-Civil War (ours, not the War of Roses or whatever), and the wiring is somewhat newer....
But it's 14 ga 15A, some Romex, some BX, and everything seems to have been afterthought and tack new stuff onto the handiest J-box. Fortunately it's all visible in the basement. But stuff crosses the space back and forth. Half the kitchen, some of the living room and dining room all seem to be on one breaker, which pops frequently.

I will be trying to run new wires in to split up the circuits into reasonable extents. There will be challenges with wire-fishing, I expect. Also possibly shoveling and bucket-carrying a lot of dirt out from under the kitchen...a late extension on the house with just a crawlspace in which there is no room to crawl.

I'll ask specific questions as I go.
And I was just starting to describe another mystery of my wiring when I realized I need to look at my notes from basement exploration and see whether it is indeed a mystery or just my head swimming, as it often does when I am trying to suss out wiring.

Hence, more later!

So I don't have to ask what an RCD is, nor tell you what Dorothy Parker said...
Actually, is an RCD something different/better than a GCFI?

OK, I'm going to try sorting out, separating the circuits in my house. The house is post-Civil War (ours, not the War of Roses or whatever), and the wiring is somewhat newer....
But it's 14 ga 15A, some Romex, some BX, and everything seems to have been afterthought and tack new stuff onto the handiest J-box. Fortunately it's all visible in the basement. But stuff crosses the space back and forth. Half the kitchen, some of the living room and dining room all seem to be on one breaker, which pops frequently.

I will be trying to run new wires in to split up the circuits into reasonable extents. There will be challenges with wire-fishing, I expect. Also possibly shoveling and bucket-carrying a lot of dirt out from under the kitchen...a late extension on the house with just a crawlspace in which there is no room to crawl.

I'll ask specific questions as I go.
And I was just starting to describe another mystery of my wiring when I realized I need to look at my notes from basement exploration and see whether it is indeed a mystery or just my head swimming, as it often does when I am trying to suss out wiring.

Hence, more later!

1/. No generally an RCD is the same as a GFCI. Although i think you'll find that Europe have and use more variations than that seen in the States... You'll also find that our standard RCD's/RCBO's are 30mA

2/. You'll have to explain those cable types here, as most will not have a clue what your on about! lol!!

I do have to ask, are you a registered electrician in the States or a DIY'er??

Let's hope you don't have any Knob and wire, or whatever they call it over there!! lol!!

Reply to Location Is Everything in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net