Discuss Locking off the main switch before removing cover from a consumer unit? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all..

I've just had my first ever thread deleted which felt a little disappointing, although perhaps justified.

I've changed it from a poll to a general discussion (hopefully this will be acceptable), although I feel it will lose some of it's validity as it will no longer be anonymous. If the moderator still feels it is a duplicate then I wont repost again as that would be rude.

Rather than talking about locking off mcb's to isolate a circuit to work on, which a certain percentage of electricians do in a domestic household I was interested specifically in seeing if anyone actually locks off the main switch of the consumer unit before removing the front cover? This is in relation to domestic households.

I was not taught to do this, but I believe it is the correct practise?

I've never worked on a consumer unit. Can you actually fit a lock off device to the main isolator and still be able to remove the cover?

**edit** I think you other thread was closed because there was a very similar poll still running elsewhere.

Cant see no point of locking of to work on the unit because you will be present at the unit , if you leave the unit the cover would have to be replaced anyway , due to exposed parts on main switch, apart from that the cover would not be removable with a lock in place ..

In a domestic environment I cant really see the practicality of what's trying to be achieved by locking off a consumer unit main switch whilst your in attendance.
The bottom line is in this situation you should never leave the c/u with the cover removed unattended.
Sure isolate before removing the cover, its common place safe working practice.
But once you have completed the task at hand, cover back on.

Looking at posts 7,8,and my own 9.
I would say we were all typing around the same time, and 3 electricians have come up with virtually the same thought process.
I think the questions been answered.

Only thing I can think of is a self connect switch, is that what you mean? Could lock one of those of independent of the cu.

I think everyones comments seem reasonable! Again the most recent assessor I had insisted I lock off the main switch before removing the front cover of the CU. I thought I must be missing something! Since the assessment I did research this and I'm sure I read somewhere that it was suggested this was done, but I just didn't see it happening in practise! I can only think that it is to stop you accidentally flipping the main switch back on as you take the cover off, but I just cant see this happening... can it?

As for the 3036's... no chance of locking those off!

I've never worked on a consumer unit. Can you actually fit a lock off device to the main isolator and still be able to remove the cover?

**edit** I think you other thread was closed because there was a very similar poll still running elsewhere.

Yes... just! I had to do it.. the assessor wasn't going to let me take the cover off until it was locked off! Bit of a squeeze though and it felt far more dangerous jigging it around to get past the lock!

Yes... just! I had to do it.. the assessor wasn't going to let me take the cover off until it was locked off! Bit of a squeeze though and it felt far more dangerous jigging it around to get past the lock!
Wow, I'm surprised it's possible but if it's such a tight squeeze then surely safer to remove the DNO fuse? Personally I'd have done a risk assessment and told him to take a hike.

Reply to Locking off the main switch before removing cover from a consumer unit? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net