Discuss Lost job coz I cant fit Sky multiroom in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

martinxxxxxx

Just been to see a job for a garage conversion the following needs doing

1. move electic meter and board
  2. fit dimplex heater
  3. fit tv arial point
  4. install sky multiroom
  5. put in 4 double sockets
  6. fit extractor fan
I went with a builder, the customer showed me round and is told him the I was uncertain about the Sky multi room, he explained that I needed to add a four module unit to the sat dish and take out the 2 module one.

As I have not got any experiance in doing this I told him that if he was ordering the multiroom from Sky they would be better to do this.

Left the job, the builder called and said that they have deciced to use their own spark as I could not do the multiroom sky bit.

Baa hoo

I need to be honest about my abilities, but do you offer sky fitting service and if so what is required to do a good job.

Too late for this one though.

Martin

This one is easy mate.
Just buy a quad lnb (the bit the cables go into on the dish) from a good wholesaler, tv shop or on line.
Run your cables from where the new digi boxes will be to the dish, 1 cable for each box 2 for sky plus box and fit the f type connectors at each end the ones outside need to be wrapped is self almagamating tape to make water proof ,and as there is voltage (17vdc) present at lnb you dont want it to short.also remember the each digibox needs a phone line as sky monitor each box to make sure that your not sharing a card with a neighbour!
Really if sky are installing/setting up multi room and are suppling the boxes all you need worry about is getting the cables in the right places and getting the phones working let them connect the dish and boxes, they're getting the big doe!
If you want to run 2 rooms from 1 box just link them with sat cable and run from an outlet on back of digibox into tv in other room,you can also use a magic eye to control the box from the other room.
hope this helps.
I always say I can do the job (within reason) and seek advice when I need it ,most things are within a good sparks reach:)

2. fit dimplex heater
  3. fit tv arial point
  4. install sky multiroom
  5. put in 4 double sockets
  6. fit extractor fan
I went with a builder, the customer showed me round and is told him the I was uncertain about the Sky multi room, he explained that I needed to add a four module unit to the sat dish and take out the 2 module one.

As I have not got any experiance in doing this I told him that if he was ordering the multiroom from Sky they would be better to do this.

Left the job, the builder called and said that they have deciced to use their own spark as I could not do the multiroom sky bit.

Baa hoo

I need to be honest about my abilities, but do you offer sky fitting service and if so what is required to do a good job.

Too late for this one though.

Martin

Make friends with local tradesmen, with whom you can swap/share jobs and knowledge, i know a good TV install company, i give them all my sky and TV aerial jobs and they give me all their electricals, the most important part of the arrangement is that they i have me on the other end of the phone and vice versa. But as other post says i alomost always say i can do it.

Cheers....Howard

Martin

Just a quick question ! is this the customers meter or the DNO's ? if DNO's how are you going to move it ? cutting seals and pulling main fuse to replace your tails/CU is one thing but moving a DNO's meter & board can get you lots of hassle.
Just seen your other post regarding a possible blown DNO fuse ! is this the same job ? sounds like someone disconnected the tails without say removing cutout fuse/isolating supply and the tails have shorted resulting in a blown DNO cutout fuse. Not saying it is the same job but its unusual for their fuse to blow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Lost job coz I cant fit Sky multiroom in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net