Discuss Machine workshop install. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Surface mounted across the floor of a busy machine shop ?!

Unless they are in a walk way then don't see what the problem is

As i normally work on the larger projects, i've always had to consult the Structural Engineer on site, whenever it's been needed to drill into this material or that material, or have them calculate ceiling strength for any heavy point loading etc.

Now, whenever a query as to drilling structural steel columns/beams or struts has been made, i can't think of a single time it's ever been refused . I remember asking once or twice, what's the problem with drilling structural steel? They just laugh and say what would you expect to happen to 1/2'' / 3/4'' steel, by drilling four 14mm clearance holes and filling them with a high tension steel nut and bolt?? Different if you were wanting to drill a 4'' or 6'' hole for a pipe, or cut a section out of the column or beam etc, of the same diameter, that would need looking into!!! I guess it's the same with boring holes in wooden joists of a house, except your not even filling them, apart from cables that is...lol!!

So it seems to be another of those myth's that abound ours and others in the construction game!!! But i or the contractor still have to get there OK before drilling these things!! lol!!!

I've had a few sites where they have insisted on the holes being drilled a minimum distance from the edge of the beams

Nice one....
We were always taught never to drill into supporting RSJs and the like.

It is easier on a lot of sites to have a no drill policy than to have someone drill something they should not

The RSJ's and angle irons are are turned to face the inside of the building. Panels of an 'unknown' material fill in the spaces. So you're left with just the faces of the girdered supports. Drilling and self tappers may be the only solution.

Have a look at Lindaptors Steelwork Fixings - Products - Lindapter I have used these quite a lot for clamping various things to structural steel, I would be surprised if there was nothing to suit your needs.

Reply to Machine workshop install. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net