Search the forum,

Discuss makita BHP453 what is it really like? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brman

yes I know, another drill question and I know there has been a 453 thread ;) but I do have a specific question!

I am in need of a new lightweight combi drill (my old ryobi having knackered batteries and a bent chuck...) and noticed B&Q are doing the 453 with 2 1.4Ah batteries for £129.

I had a quick play with one and the only thing I was surprised about was,when screwdrivering, even on max torque I could stop the chuck with my hand. I got the impression that it wouldn't be possible to adjust the torque for big screws into wood. ie. it would either stop early or I'd have to use drill mode and risk over doing it.
I compared it to the dewalt 2xNiCd £100 offer they do and that (like my ryobi) would rip the skin of my hands on max torque.....

Am I right? Do I need to go further up the Makita range to get decent torque adjustment? Or maybe just get a dewalt?

I have the 14V from 2006, and it is still going strong after daily abuse...

It could do with being replaced, but there is nothing wrong with it!

Plus the fact, im a little concerned that even a direct replacement wont be as reliable.

Image017.jpg

The only things i have bought are a couple of batteries, and they were genuine ones from ebay.

If you can find the right one for you, i would say go for it.

Yep, they are more expensive, but i think i can safely say, you get your moneys worth, and then some.

:)

Thanks Jason - cost isn't the issue here, it would be nice to get it cheap at B&Q but I'd happily pay £50+ more for a dewalt DCD785 if I thought it was going to be better in use. Hence the question about the torque settings, I reckon I would get hacked off if I couldn't just set a torque and then drive half a dozen screws flush with the surface.

High Tower -I've been tempted by the 451 but really wanted something lighter weight I can carry around all day.

£360 will buy u a LXT202 twin pack, where you get the 451 and a impact friver, best of both worlds!

The thing is, on most smaller jobs (up to and including a CU change) I tend to take my tool belt, a bag with my MFT, leads etc and my cordless drill bag. Other stuff I only get out if I really need it. So I really only want a lightweight drill capable of drilling a few holes and screwing a few floorboards down. The 451 is a bit of beast compared to what I am after although I could well be tempted to get a 451 later if I want something cordless for heavier jobs. I certainly would not want to carry a drill plus impact driver just so I had the options.

I have to admit, I've been doing a bit of looking and I can get the dewalt dcd785 (roughly equivelent to the 453 in spec) with 2x1.5Li batteries, plus a dewalt impact driver for £233. I could add a 3ah battery for £55 and a dewalt DCD985 (451 spec level) for £90 bare and I would have a light combi, heavyweight combi, impact driver and 3 batteries for not far off the price of the makita 451+impact.

I've realised that the tool show at Sandown is only a couple of weeks away so I might just wait until then and see if I can get my hands on some alternatives to play with.

I think that is an excellent idea tbh.

That way you will see even more choice, and be even more unsure!

:D

:( I think you might be right.... I just spent 30 minutes looking for info and all i found was people bitching about their drills. Chuck wobble (both makita and dewalt) batteries failing (mostly makita), gearboxes failing etc etc. I am beginning to think my old ryobi isn't such a bad drill after all.....

I've had the BHP453 for two years now it's been good but the chuck kept coming loose when drilling so I had a new metal chuck supplied and fitted for £20 and it's like brand new! I know Dewalt do an 18v Li-On which is a beast and considering that as my next drill.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I've had the BHP453 for two years now it's been good but the chuck kept coming loose when drilling so I had a new metal chuck supplied and fitted for £20 and it's like brand new! I know Dewalt do an 18v Li-On which is a beast and considering that as my next drill.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Who supplied and fitted the replacement chuck? Was it makita?

Just to confuse matters even more I have just found out makita have a new range. 456 (roughly a replacement for the 452?) and 458 which looks like the same spec as the 451 but only 2 speed and has a "new DC motor", whatever that is.....

if you have a jewsons local to you i was in there yesterday and theres a milwaukee combi drill with 2 3.0A lithium batteries, case and charger for £200 inc VAT. seems like a bargain to me!
EDIT: and looking at the specs it's lighter and more powerful than the BHP543.

Last edited:
Milwaukee are the top of the pops when it comes to drills.. Lightweight they are not unless you look into their new brushless compact range >£350 for that though

The torque is not powerful maybe caused by batteries, replace the batteries and see its performance again, general speaking NI-CD battery seemed stronger than Li-ion battery, because the PCB would limite current for driving.

Reply to makita BHP453 what is it really like? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net