Discuss makita or dewalt in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
just about to treat myself to some new toys, always had makita 14.4v nimh stuff thats starting to get a bit tired now. Do I stick with makita transferring to liion or go to dewalt? Like the look of the makita 36v drill that works from 2 18v batteries!

I'm loving my 18v li ion milwaukee combi drill. ÂŁ200 from toolstation with 2 3ah batts. The sds in this range also gets a favourable review in the tools forum.

Makita, bought 24v liion...and its doing me proud. Got bargain fromn screwfix with one bat. So instead of buying a another bat at high price i bought the makita tourch with exact same bat for half the price of a bat on its own from ebay. Great thing is they both sit snug in the makit abox. so it wortth a thought...saved some pennies...... But just bought the bosch 36v hammer/rotor sds and chisel. different type job but loving it. !

I've had two makita's in the last three years and both broke, I had a 14v drill/driver that got stuck in reverse, I took it apart gave it a clean etc, the switch moved fine but the drill would only go backwards, Which is largely unhelpful. I also had an 18v one which a few months after I bought it the battery just died, To be fair to Makita they sent a replacement out to me withing 2 days free of charge, So cant fault their customer service. Milwaukee or Hilti for me now though.

Bought a 24v sds Makita and one battery died, couldn,t find receipt so rang them up and got told to send battery back posted saturday and got new one back on wednesday,cant beat that for service! also had hitachi 24v from screwfix utter garbage short battery life and no grunt, only got about 20 5.5 holes on one battery,use a bit of DeWalt cordless as well, but thats provided by work,their grinder is ok though 18v use it a lot.

I have an 18v Dewalt and Dad has a 18v Makita. I used them to do a job (one drilling, one screwing) and I would be hard pushed to choose between them. Both come in a sturdy case with 2 batteries for close to the same price.

I bought several Makita 18V LXT tools two years ago. Very happy with them; no signs of anything failing and batteries still seem to be holding charge well.

Last edited:
The new Milwaukee 18v with the brushless motor, had a play the other day and was impressed. Milwaukee offering 3 warranty on drills and 2 years on batteries.

Makita or Bosch for drills. Both good but Bosch have a 3 year guarantee. I do own a couple of DeWalt drill bit sets, they have nice yellow boxes that fit in my Makita SDS and Combi cases, but I would only buy their power tools if I didn't plan on using them much.

i own full makita lxt 18v kit, combi drill, impact driver, circular saw, reciprocating saw and torch, im well impressed with them, the drills have had some stick over the last 12 months and have no signs of slowing up, had a dewalt combi a couple of years ago and the chuck kept slipping and holesaws etc kept falling out during use, makita by far the better kit in my opinion.

Reply to makita or dewalt in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net