Discuss Mass Air Flow wiring problem. Please, please help me solve this in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have no idea about MAF sensors but your wiring may be like this (this is 2003 so it may have changed)
If the colours look right then for the missing two wires you should be looking for a brown wire with blue stripe that may be joined to another one as they are linked.
2003 Focus wiring MAF sensor.jpg

I have no idea about MAF sensors but your wiring may be like this (this is 2003 so it may have changed)
If the colours look right then for the missing two wires you should be looking for a brown wire with blue stripe that may be joined to another one as they are linked.
View attachment 31353

hi, thank you for trying to help me.

But, as I said, I have a 2006 Focus and it is the MK 2 version that I have. that diagram you posted was for an MK 1 version of the focus, an older model whereas I have the newer shaper model.

also I don't know anything about cars at all really, but by looking on that diagram I cannot see where it tells you the color sequence of the wires or anything ?

To be fair some models change during their lifetime and no wiring diagrams can be deemed as accurate as alluded to by PEG in his articulate and accurate post.

You need to go to someone who is clued up on this model and has access to the appropriate diagnostic equipment and relevant diagrams ,and has the mechanical knowledge to correlate between the two; in the light that yours is now an unknown quantity by interference of an unsuccessful third party ;to put it kindly.

The mechanical condition of your engine will also influence just how much your ECU can do. No MAF sensor in the world will compensate for poor compression and cylinder and valve condition.
The history of your head and water pump problem may also be influencing the symptoms you have.

We all seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet in our advice to you, you may find more advice on a dedicated forum if you google your problem, but as far as I can go is what I have already said.
(not speaking for the others)
PEG summed it up in my opinion, you now need 'hands on' help, by a professional.

Last edited:
To be fair some models change during their lifetime and no wiring diagrams can be deemed as accurate as alluded to by PEG in his articulate and accurate post.

You need to go to someone who is clued up on this model and has access to the appropriate diagnostic equipment and relevant diagrams ,and has the mechanical knowledge to correlate between the two; in the light that yours is now an unknown quantity by interference of an unsuccessful third party ;to put it kindly.

The mechanical condition of your engine will also influence just how much your ECU can do. No MAF sensor in the world will compensate for poor compression and cylinder and valve condition.
The history of your head and water pump problem may also be influencing the symptoms you have.

We all seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet in our advice to you, you may find more advice on a dedicated forum if you google your problem, but as far as I can go is what I have already said.
(not speaking for the others)
PEG summed it up in my opinion, you now need 'hands on' help, by a professional.

Hi

what do you mean by '' the symptoms the car is having '' ?

As I said to you before, the only symptoms are when revved too hard it thuds quietly and refuses to accelerate/pick up speed so usually to correct this the engine has to be turned off. Also if for example the car has been left overnight and then you go to accelerate first time the RPM'S fall and car almost stalls so you have to come off the accelerator, then when accelerating again it is fine.

These symptoms occurred the same day the wires were cut, they are 100% related to the problem with the MAF.

why did you mention head and water pump ??????????????????????????????????????????

4th car 2006 MK2 Focus 1.8 TDCI Sport , this is the car I have now. Day 1 car overheating loosing water, garage diagnosed head gasket ( but found out later that they lied and only replaced water pump), then a day after purchase light came on dash which later found out was transmission light for gearbox, then had problem with leaking fuel injectors, then turbo was faulty, --, EGR had to be replaced inc manifold which cost me £300, rocker cover leak, and other things too.
From your OP

I was referring to the history of you vehicle an subsequent repairs, these can be a contributing factor to MAF sensor not reading correctly ; especially as the replacement MAF sensor did not cure your problem.

It needs professional hands on attention.

Reply to Mass Air Flow wiring problem. Please, please help me solve this in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net