Discuss MCP final exit location in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

IAmSparkytus!

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all,

Any advice on where to locate a manual call point in a commercial premises (shop) if there is nowhere either side of the entrance or close to where one can be positioned - or what have others done in the past?

Thanks.

anywhere on the escape route is acceptable. e.g. I done a couple of pubs where I located MCP behind bar as if by door, some boozed up lager swigger would hit them just for fun.

This is common on glass fronted retail outlets. Generally they are located on either of the adjacent walls but ensure it is going to remain conspicuous the amount I have seen hidden behind shelving.

This is common on glass fronted retail outlets. Generally they are located on either of the adjacent walls but ensure it is going to remain conspicuous the amount I have seen hidden behind shelving.
Yes, this is the issue. Sliding door as well so there isn't a door frame to utilise.

Only option I can see is to put it behind the sales counter which is to the left of the door but it wouldn't be accessible to public unfortunately.

anywhere on the escape route is acceptable. e.g. I done a couple of pubs where I located MCP behind bar as if by door, some boozed up lager swigger would hit them just for fun.
Thanks for your reply. There isn't a main escape route as there are a few aisles and as its mostly shelving I don't see anywhere to put them in the aisles either. Front and back exits within shop area both lead to open air but only able to put a break glass near the back exit due to the positioning issue I'm having!

It is a requirement that enroute to an exit you pass a call point so putting it behind the counter even though I have seen it done isn't ideal. Every exit to the open air requires a call point whether it is deemed a fire exit or not.

If there is no physical wall to mount a call point or to run cabling (chased or containment), consider a freestanding self contained job.

Screenshot_20210409-001139_Chrome.jpg

A note of caution; I have been able to find no information regarding this products compliance with BS EN 54-11, possibly because it's not really a call point but I wouldn't be happy unless I had something in writing from the manufacturer - That said if you read the datasheet/manual they basically say we take no responsibility whatsoever as to whether the product will work or not, to me seems a bit underhand, I know most have something similar but they seem very specific with it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210409-000829_Chrome.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 2
If there is no physical wall to mount a call point or to run cabling (chased or containment), consider a freestanding self contained job.

View attachment 84379

A note of caution; I have been able to find no information regarding this products compliance with BS EN 54-11, possibly because it's not really a call point but I wouldn't be happy unless I had something in writing from the manufacturer - That said if you read the datasheet/manual they basically say we take no responsibility whatsoever as to whether the product will work or not, to me seems a bit underhand, I know most have something similar but they seem very specific with it.
I'm intrigued, why the ? @UNG ?

View attachment 84379

Not sure that piece of tat would comply with any of the requirements for a commercial multi point detection system let alone a standalone system

I'm intrigued, why the ? @UNG ?
Really! you need to ask

Not sure that piece of tat would comply with any of the requirements for a commercial multi point detection system let alone a standalone system

Really! you need to ask
As I said on that post, I couldn't find any documentation as to its complaince or efficacy.

I'm sure I've seen similar systems for outdoor 'indoor' (read; large --- marques) where is little to no scope for fixed wiring

As I said on that post, I couldn't find any documentation as to its complaince or efficacy.
So why bother posting it up when the OP is more than likely working on a part 1 system you may as well have posted a link to an Aico MCP

I'm sure I've seen similar systems for outdoor 'indoor' (read; large --- marques) where is little to no scope for fixed wiring
I've seen a manual fire bell on an fire extinguisher stand in a marquee, it's a temporary solution to bring attention to a fire probably doesn't comply with anything but it is here today somewhere else tomorrow and meets the needs of a risk assessment or the event

Reply to MCP final exit location in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net