Discuss Megger 1553 on site or Megger 1552 + EasyCert in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chrisgc

Hi all.

I am considering a megger 1553 on site.

Yes it comes with software for completing certificates but I would also require either smart phone or PDA (as dont want to be hauling laptop around).

But my other option is to just get the megger 1552 and get a third party software like easycert as i have heard good thing about this certificate software.

Also can anyone tell me how I upload the results from the megger 1552 to pc ie. via a usb cable etc?

Your answeres would be much appreciated.

Chris

Hi

The MFT1553 utilises a Bluetooth connection to enable a real time download of test readings

The MFT1552 has no download facility and requires results to be hand written

Regards

Megger Technical Support

i have the 1552

just started the 2391 so have not used it but i am sure it has not got a down load facility

let me know if you get the 1553 becasue thats the one i want and would like to know if its worth up grading

i've got the 1552
i wish i'd spent the little bit extra for the 1553 to save on writing bl##dy test certs out.
my wrist hurts just talking about it

Hi Chris

Have you made your decision about the tester yet?

I have used the easy cert software and did not get on with it at all.
I have also used a PDA smart phone to form fill, I hated it and have found a laptop better as you can see the whole page of cert.

I currently use the Megger 1553 + Megger pat 4, using Powersuite on a laptop.

Andrew B

hello there
merry xmas and all that
i've just started a large pir job (6 x 24 way domestic dbs) and i need some proffesional looking software so i can hand the client some printed out certificates at the end of the job(edward scissorhands has better handwriting than me !!)
could anybody reccomend any good software
i have a megger 1552(wish bought the 1553)
thanks
happy new year

Powersuite on a laptop.
I would also buy the best version you can afford the one that comes with the 1553 is a bit limited especially if you want to upload from a PAT 4.
Then at a later date upgrade to the 1553 without the software, the download function works well and has a good range. Make sure you have some spare batteries though as it does seem to get through them quite quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both, but not got into the megger power suite yet.

Been Four months, and I do an awful lot of testing.

I think it'll be when old faithful falls over. Some thing I'm not looking forward to.

Easycert is very good, it auto fills in as much as software can (Max Zs etc) and the only bit it could do better in is checking or asking you to check on cable sizes/length of runs. So it saves a bit of time, also it can import results from PDA(not used that bit so can't say much about it). I think the main alternative is Amtech, not sure what the licensing differences are but Amtech is a bit more expensive if its just for 1 computer.

i'm just using the easycert sample as we speak
it seems ok
i have to type out results for pirs on 6x24 way dbs plus sub mains
please kill me!!
i can think of better ways to spend a sunday

I have just bought the MFT1553 with lite on site powersuite and am totally lost how to use the software, the Megger instructions are terrible and seem to concentrate on PAT testing, I have loaded the software on to my laptop and paired the insrument on bluetooth but can not get any test reading to fire to the cert, any courses around or an expert user out there anywhere ? :confused:

Go to the schedule of test results page on the cert and click on a results box as if you were going to type in result.

Get a result on meter just try it a continuity reading.

Scroll by pressing red button on meter until it comes to say R2 then press and hold red button and result should transfer to PC.

I have just bought the MFT1553 with lite on site powersuite and am totally lost how to use the software, the Megger instructions are terrible and seem to concentrate on PAT testing, I have loaded the software on to my laptop and paired the insrument on bluetooth but can not get any test reading to fire to the cert, any courses around or an expert user out there anywhere ? :confused:

Hi Trebor

It may well be a comm number issue that is blocking transfer of data. If you email Megger Technical Support ([email protected]) then we will be able to assist you.

Regards

Megger TSG

I am a very IT orientated person, having being involved with computing for 20 years. I feel this software does not save any time. It is quicker for me to write down the results on a photocopy schedule and then type my certificate out in the software later. The bluetooth thing is just gimmicky for me. It takes longer to set your PDA to the correct field, do the test then press the transmit button and send each reading to the PDA. If the megger MFT 1553 had the facility to store all results then it might work but holding a PDA as well as the tester and wander lead, etc. is something an octopus would struggle with. For me I was disappointed, but thankfully my meter just came with powersuite anyway.... I didn't specifically order it. Personally I would have a look at it before you commit your cash.

i have just bought the megger mft 1553 and am stuck on what software to buy as there are so many mixed reports. the choice is between easy cert pro or powersuite contractor. can any one offer any advice?

Reply to Megger 1553 on site or Megger 1552 + EasyCert in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net