Discuss Meter Tails - Again! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

ben2012

Not quiet the same as the other recent threads i believe, ive been to look at a new extension that's been built, the mains is being moved from is current position which is on the current outside wall to the outside wall on the new extension, so the plan is to fit a new consumer unit to supply the new extension and then from an 80A switch fuse to run a pair of 25mm tails and 16mm earth to the existing consumer unit to resupply. the tails would be run under the floor of the new extension and through the wall to the board, its approx 10-12mtrs in length. can anyone see any problem with this? part of me thinks i should run SWA but given its going to be under the floor i cant see any way it would get damaged.

thanks

ben

Why not just extend the existing circuits to serve the new extension and alter them a little to be fed from a new board at the new mains position?

Unless this is some kind of mansion and actually needs 80A to feed the existing CU and it has no capacity to feed the extension?

The current board is full and the new extension has 2 beds, utility, snug and kitchen hence having a new board would be easier and either way tails would have to be run from the new meter position to the existing board

The current board is full and the new extension has 2 beds, utility, snug and kitchen hence having a new board would be easier and either way tails would have to be run from the new meter position to the existing board

Just fit one new board in the new position and alter the existing circuits to be fed from that board.
Take the existing rings out of the board and close the ring at that point, open the rings where they are closest to the extension and extend them around the extension as required and to the new board.

Remove the feed from board to first light on lighting circuits and then extend feed from nearest point to extension to serve new lights and connect to new board.

Unless they are having 2 kitchens the old one will be coming out and all new electrics to the new kitchen anyway.

Come on, this is the basics of domestic electrical work!

Have you spoken to the DNO regarding this? Are they happy to have you extend the tails for 10-12m? Have you made plans for incorporating a switchfuse to accommodate the need to have tails >3m?

Just fit one new board in the new position and alter the existing circuits to be fed from that board.
Take the existing rings out of the board and close the ring at that point, open the rings where they are closest to the extension and extend them around the extension as required and to the new board.

Remove the feed from board to first light on lighting circuits and then extend feed from nearest point to extension to serve new lights and connect to new board.

Unless they are having 2 kitchens the old one will be coming out and all new electrics to the new kitchen anyway.

Come on, this is the basics of domestic electrical work!

This is typical of what's going on out there.... Mention any form of building extension and it's a second CU straight off the cuff...

In my opinion I don't think what he is doing is a bad option. His questions was about the tails anyway, not what others may or may not do. Every electrician is different and I respect other peoples work if all well and safe.
If he starts messing with original installation he may open a can of worms and is deemed liable. Just change the tails, don't bother asking dno for permission; stick your own KMF switch in; make sure they're run in, in an approved manner and be done with it. Nothing wrong with it.

In my opinion I don't think what he is doing is a bad option. His questions was about the tails anyway, not what others may or may not do. Every electrician is different and I respect other peoples work if all well and safe.
If he starts messing with original installation he may open a can of worms and is deemed liable. Just change the tails, don't bother asking dno for permission; stick your own KMF switch in; make sure they're run in, in an approved manner and be done with it. Nothing wrong with it.

Err, I think there is plenty wrong with having 12mts of tails running under the floor boards. Fit sub/ KMF.

Reply to Meter Tails - Again! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net