Discuss Meter Tails in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would consider the heat shrink not giving conductors adequate mechanical protection. The fact you could never fit the heat shrink up into the cable sufficiently would render the conductors as not being suitably enclosed. It is a poor method to solve a problem and I always comment on an EICR if I see such a situation.

I must be interpreting the regulations differently as I thought the meterbox was an enclosure (equipment surround by a barrier). Where is the risk of mechanical damage to the cable if the meter box was in a sound condition ?
Just trying to understand your point of view.
Is there any regulations out there for the main topic?

A meter box as a suitable enclosure for a cable joint (like a giant junction box), if I've understood correctly?
Plenty I see have broken doors and since householder commonly approaches the meter anyway (to take a reading) I don't think the box can be relied upon as a barrier. But that's just my thought.

Yes but on a condition report you would only report on the safety of the meter box at time of test, we can't retrospectively apply regs.
I'm still trying to work a way round for the lads on this issue, I don't disagree with the SF idea but it's not going to fit next to the REC and even if I removed there double pole isolator (which I can as I'm MOCOPA approved) what can I fit in the meter box.
What would you do "Wilko" with what they got?
As it's a 25mm 3 core SWA coming though the top knock out (with fire resistant foam to seal the cavity when it's done).
My biggest struggle is with the designer as he saying find me regs showing he's wrong.
Thanks for your replies.

Reply to Meter Tails in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net