Discuss Minimum cleat spacing. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have been extremely lucky and managed to pull in a 10mm SWA the full height of an ex bank, from ground floor, through the first floor and into the loft behind a stand off, metal frame plasterboard wall.

I had to make access points at ground and ceiling level to feed through, the run is pretty much vertical.

Now I'm wondering how many additional windows I have to cut to fix cleats.

Any ideas?

Try this, note cable size is outer diameter not core csa
Cheers, tomorrow will be a day of cutting windows and cleating.

450mm is not too bad, an extra five per floor.

Was half hoping one of the old hands would have said "it'll be reet hanging from t'loft"

Hoping but not hopeful.

You just know that in the future someone doing an EICR is going to note that they can't see the cable or fixings along it's full length so don't know if it changes to T&E and then back to SWA

Table D1 of the On-Site Guide suggests vertical runs of SWA in accessible positions of size 15<d≤20mm is 550mm, or 20<d≤40mm is 600mm. ("d" is the diameter of the cable, not the CSA)

...and in inaccessible positions?
"For sheathed and armoured cables in vertical runs which are inaccessible and unlikely to be disturbed, supported at the top of the run by a clip and a rounded support of a radius not less than the appropriate value stated in table D5."

... which is 6 times the diameter of the cable.

I know this will probably attract a few dislikes but, subject to actually seeing it and understanding the length involved, I would probably give it a good solid support at the top of the run, ideally with it run around a rounded support to stop it pulling itself past its minimum bend, and let it hang in the void.

Major short when nail is banged in wall, massive explosion, wall taken out dangly cable whipping around room tying itself around the ankles of all the unfortunates in the vicinity, cleat it! Nah just kidding. Just read the post properly now.

Major short when nail is banged in wall, massive explosion, wall taken out dangly cable whipping around room tying itself around the ankles of all the unfortunates in the vicinity, cleat it! Nah just kidding. Just read the post properly now.

Ah but if the cable is loose maybe the nail is more likely to push the cable out of the way.

Now we just need a willing victim to experiment and prove the hypothesis!

Reply to Minimum cleat spacing. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net