Discuss Minor works certificate for DIY installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've recently installed some LED downlights in several bedrooms in my house, but it has recently been brought to my attention that I need the work inspecting and be issued with a minor works certificate.

Is it usual practice for homeowners to do their own installations and be issued with a certificate, or do electricians only issue certificates for work that they have carried out themselves?

If it is possible, how much should I expect to pay this this?

It's normal, or should be the norm for the person doing the alteration to the circuit, to issue the MNM cert to the customer, being a DIYer it will be difficult, if not impossible for you to certify this work.

I've recently installed some LED downlights in several bedrooms in my house, but it has recently been brought to my attention that I need the work inspecting and be issued with a minor works certificate.

Is it usual practice for homeowners to do their own installations and be issued with a certificate, or do electricians only issue certificates for work that they have carried out themselves?

Usually, yes.
You will probably find an electrician to inspect and test this after a search about, but I can't say what quality of inspection and test you will get from someone willing to provide such a service.

I for one would never sign my name to someone else's work unless all cables (full length of) and connections could be visually inspected, and I would probably charge the same price as the full job would have.

By whom?

Or do you need the MWC for the extended warranty for the downlights?

I'd happily take your money for an EICR. No way would I ever issue a MWC for someone else's work. Unless I was QS for a NICEIC company - then I'd probably do hundreds per week...

there is no legal obligation whatsoever for a certificate for what you have done. it is however, advisable to have the altered circuit/s tested to ensure that they are safe. a minor works certificate would have the circuit details recorded, and helps when and if you want to sell the property. there again, prior to a sale, you could commission a condition report.

I was told I need the certification for two main reasons:
1. In case I ever need to sell my house.
2. In case of a fire, the insurance company may not pay out.

Would knowing that have stopped you doing the work yourself?

A EICR would seem to be the answer. I'll bet it costs more than you saved.

I was told I need the certification for two main reasons:
1. In case I ever need to sell my house.
2. In case of a fire, the insurance company may not pay out.

Both good reasons.

All you need is a photocopy of the standard form in the back of your regulations book. And the test results from the tests you carried out before switching on anything you had installed.

Of course if you didn't carry out the correct tests then how do you know the circuit you worked on was safe and compliant before you started any alterations?

Reply to Minor works certificate for DIY installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net