Discuss Mobile phone - which one?? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

My trusty Nokia N8 is playing up and today has died and won't restart so maybe its time to get a new one. I don't want an Iphone as I think they are a rip off.

I use it for

calls
texts
accessing 4 email accounts
calender (sync'ed with Outlook)
taking pictures
maps
accessing the internet

I'm guessing most smart phones do this but anyone got helpful suggestions please?

Thanks

have a gander at the new samsung galaxy S3.

I have a HTC desire, curtesy of the company, and the bloody thing ties me in knots. I am slowly (very) getting to grips with it, it does everything, and i bet somewhere there is a make a brew app. The battery life is ---- though.

I have a Nokia X6 of my own, and to be fair, Nokias are easy to use, i would get another.

Cheers..........Howard

I have a HTC desire, curtesy of the company, and the bloody thing ties me in knots. I am slowly (very) getting to grips with it, it does everything, and i bet somewhere there is a make a brew app. The battery life is ---- though.

I have a Nokia X6 of my own, and to be fair, Nokias are easy to use, i would get another.

Cheers..........Howard

Is the X6 the new windows based unit?

Y do you believe I phones are rip off's.? I pay £27. A month for my 4sdoes everything you could want ( including have this great app on it) amazing phone wouldn't change it for anything except I phone 5 lol

Y do you believe I phones are rip off's.? I pay £27. A month for my 4sdoes everything you could want ( including have this great app on it) amazing phone wouldn't change it for anything except I phone 5 lol

Who is your contract with and what do you get for £27?

I always used to get Nokias until recently - they don't seem to have done too well with their smartphones.
I'd go for a Samsung smartphone personally - in fact I've got the Galaxy mini. It does everything I want it to (call, text, email, interweb) and more, and my contract is only about £15 a month.
The downside is the battery life is really unpredictable - you have to charge it most days, then sometimes for some reason it lasts for ages, although all smartphones have poor battery life.
Being my first smartphone, and being a bit of a worrier, I sometimes wonder what would happen if I were to be suddenly struck blind and need to call an ambulance; with the old phones with keys you know how to unlock it and can feel the keys, whereas with a smartphone you have to swipe your finger across the screen, then it's a touch screen.

A good place to start would be to work out how much you use your phone (calls, texts, data), determine which network offer the best coverage in your area, choose a contract from them, and see what handset you can get.

There's no point paying over the odds for a contract which you don't need, likewise taking out a cheap contract and going over your allocation every month, which again you'll end up paying a fortune for.

iagree adam.. people that some rediculous contracts out.! with appropriate bolt on and use these free apps you can run the modern phones for peanuts.. also work phone goes aggainst tax for the self employed.!

ive just got a htc one x,its the first smart phone ive ever had,its a bit bigger than most mobiles but thats fine for me as the lamp oil is starting to drain and the touch screen is really good for those with sausage fingers,cant fault it really..

I used to always go with cheap Nokias, bog standard buttons for easy texting and calls, not much more.

I broke mine a few months ago and couldn't get a replacement (I need quad-band which they don't do on "normal" phones any more)

Ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I absolutely love it! Was very reluctant to move over to a smartphone, but very very glad I did.

I know the S3 is out and people are raving about it, but not sure what the benefits are over the S2...

for years ive said there a waste of money,no need for them,cant see the point etc,i got mine by default as the wife didnt want it,best thing in my tool bag now,i can check company emails,send stuff to customers and the office all without going home..:clap: and watch tv in the van when im on me dinner..

Being my first smartphone, and being a bit of a worrier, I sometimes wonder what would happen if I were to be suddenly struck blind and need to call an ambulance; with the old phones with keys you know how to unlock it and can feel the keys, whereas with a smartphone you have to swipe your finger across the screen, then it's a touch screen.

iPhone 4s or 5 would be easy to call emergency services. You can use Siri to make the call.

With regards to suggestions, it is difficult as there is a vast amount of smart phones available.

I have used Blackberry's over the last few years, and can't really fault them. I have about six e-mail accounts, use the calendar all the time (synced with outlook), photos whilst at work. Text messaging and calling are standard on all phones, lol

The Blackberry software that syncs with outlook is excellent, and I can not fault it at all.

I will be shortly retiring my Blackberry's, and purchasing the iPhone 5 (which I have been waiting a long time for. The iPhones are great, especially if you have other iOS devices. I started using my iPad at work, and can no longer goto work without it. They are great for reading reports, emails and searching the web.

It is possible to sync iOS devices with outlook, but I have not had as much success as with the Blackberry. I will master it once I get my iPhone though. The iPhone calendar will sync using iCloud to your PC so there is never a need to plug it in.

Many people, including shops say the Samsung Galaxy S3 is the best smart phone available, but I am not sure on it. I had a brief play with one in a shop, but didn't really like the display or menu system.

Reply to Mobile phone - which one?? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net