Discuss Motors and Panel's, good practical book(s)? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jamie

Hi,

I am looking for a good book(s) on Motors and Panels, if anyone knows or has one that they would recommend :)

Thanks

Can you be more specific?
Wiring Motors of different kinds, What different motors are used for different jobs, maybe some fault finding if there are any books with that in, testing of a motor and control circuit.

I have wiring diagrams etc on single sheets, but it's quite hard keeping it all together, so would prefer a book on it that has them in too, that will be good for the future.

I'm an apprentice Tony, so just as above, general wiring, testing, fault finding if possible and wiring diagrams. 4 weeks on Motors and control circuits at college is not really a lot, I prefer to have a book in the van to consult if i'm left to do a small job on my own.

Pop down to your local large book retailer like and peruse whats on offer, the problem is knowing what level you are at and what you would understand too, motors covers a vast field and usually the theory behind them all is a life long journey where you never stop learning - Ive been doing it 20 odd yrs and still find motors and associated controls I don't recognise and struggle to reference even in my collection of books.

Any books stating basic motor theory and their controls would be a good starting point.

Your second ask is panels? As already asked please expand on that, if you mean machine control panels then you will struggle to find anything because most systems are bespoke and designed for their specific purpose so the variations and designs are limitless meaning a hard concept to cover in book form, my only suggestion to familiarise yourself with the general regulations surrounding machine control which is the BS60204-1 but Im thinking once you clock the price you won't bother buying a copy.

The theory behind motors and panels can get very complex very quickly hence I suggest proof reading a few books in store before purchasing them to ensure they are at a comfortable level for you.

Wiring Motors of different kinds, What different motors are used for different jobs, maybe some fault finding if there are any books with that in, testing of a motor and control circuit.
Still a bit vague Jamie.
AC or DC?
Low voltage or MV (or elv)?
Single or 3 phase?
Large or small (fractional horsepower)?

When you say controls are you meaning switchgear etc or more like speed controls, VFD's etc

I'm kind guessing you're wanting domestic type motors but if you give some more info I'll find you some links. TBH you don't need to spend money on the books, there's more than enough info around for free and gratis.

Btw I've looked for books also but as Marvo said there's plenty of info for free and also a few youtube videos but mostly originating from the US so some terminology is different but for basic circuit controls like reversing motors and star delta they'll help you understand the components and wiring

One book to look out for is the little brown book by BROOK MOTORS (Installation and Maintenance of Electric Motors) that contains a mine of information and covers everything from installation to fault finding. Where you would get one these days i have no idea, mine was provided as a freebie to apprentices at the start of my apprenticeship. God knows what edition it will be up to now, mine is around 15th/17th edition (nothing to do with IEE Regs editions), and it goes with me wherever i go. I've seen them on ebay a few times mind, if you see one being offered ....snap it up!! lol!!

:)The best book I have come across for building panels is on

Power Quality Equipment - REO (UK) Ltd

Explains all about layout,earthing and cable shielding written by cherry consulting a well known rfi consultant

They also have some fantastic info on harmonics which you need to understand if you are going to install vsds

The panel building standard is bsen60204

Most of which is a cut and paste of 17th edition ......

Good question to start what colour do you want the start button to be ? That's not a joke

Safety for simple stuff has to be done under bsen13849 I recommend using sistema for the calcs and the documentation

Sistema is free

For safety equipment my favourite is pilz the main reason is if you ask them a question they will give you an answer and an application example

Start with the customers risk assessment and work backwards
If no risk assessment assume PLe

:)The best book I have come across for building panels is on

Power Quality Equipment - REO (UK) Ltd

Explains all about layout,earthing and cable shielding written by cherry consulting a well known rfi consultant

They also have some fantastic info on harmonics which you need to understand if you are going to install vsds

The panel building standard is bsen60204

Most of which is a cut and paste of 17th edition ......

Good question to start what colour do you want the start button to be ? That's not a joke

Safety for simple stuff has to be done under bsen13849 I recommend using sistema for the calcs and the documentation

Sistema is free

For safety equipment my favourite is pilz the main reason is if you ask them a question they will give you an answer and an application example

Start with the customers risk assessment and work backwards
If no risk assessment assume PLe

Or is it the other way around... :confused: The BS7671 is limited to mainly installation work although not entirely, the BS60204 is General requirements for machine control and where there is an overlap they just reinforce the regulation in different area's .. I find the BS7671 a looser guideline than the BS60204 so I would say the the cut and paste is from the BS60204 to the B7671 ;)

My Brook bible is the 16th edition, can't find a date.

No date given on mine either. Mine is the 17th edition, i've seen a 19th edition and that basically was an all metric edition, whereas mine has both imperial and metric data. I don't know if Brook Motors still publish the little motor bible, a crying shame if they don't, as it's 200 odd pages has little known information that you will rarely if ever find in other publications... As i say that little book goes with me everywhere....

Austin hughes : Electric motors and drives; fundentals and applications.

It's a book i'm reading it's very good for explaining the theory of vsds, how pwm is achieved etc

No date given on mine either. Mine is the 17th edition, i've seen a 19th edition and that basically was an all metric edition, whereas mine has both imperial and metric data. I don't know if Brook Motors still publish the little motor bible, a crying shame if they don't, as it's 200 odd pages has little known information that you will rarely if ever find in other publications... As i say that little book goes with me everywhere....

The only date I can find in the 16[SUP]th[/SUP] edition of the bible is a reference to the then current 14[SUP]th[/SUP] edition of the IEE regulations. So that’s 1966 to 1981.

I was given my copy when I was 16 so it’s lasted in my tool chest for 43 years. It’s looking a bit dog eared now.

Reply to Motors and Panel's, good practical book(s)? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net