Discuss Multizone Hive wiring for S plan system in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mctimmyk

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I’m not an electrician or a plumber, but I am confident diyer and am not completely incompetent!

I have a new build house with a boiler/hot water system which I believe is S plan. There are 3 motorised valves (one for downstairs heating, 1 for upstairs and 1 for hot water). So it’s a dual zone whereby existing control downstairs controls heating and water, upstairs is heating only.

I want to install 2 Hive receivers (1 single channel and 1 dual channel) and am struggling with the control wiring (power is fine). I have attached a photo and diagram of the wiring centre and the various connections required on the receivers.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 27026A74-6A71-4E4D-8AEB-D1EF02BD13A7.jpeg
    481.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 7AF8FE89-BFF8-4452-9BC8-7432962FECDD.jpeg
    520.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 3DED4406-6908-42B9-B3AB-3A67A30EEA9C.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 11
So, a 3 channel programmer, or are you saying you can only have hot water with the heating on??

So, a 3 channel programmer, or are you saying you can only have hot water with the heating on??
I assume so? There are currently 2 thermostats, 1 is for control of heating d/s and water and the other is for control of heating u/s. All 3 are usable independently

Neutrals in both receivers to neutral terminal in connector box
Earths in both receivers to earth terminal in connector box.
Common in single channel and both permanent lives to live in connector box. (This can be 15, 16 or the live on the other terminal strip.)
3 on single channel receiver to 14 in terminal box
3 on dual channel to 7 in terminal box
4 on dual channel to 13 in terminal box.

I assume so? There are currently 2 thermostats, 1 is for control of heating d/s and water and the other is for control of heating u/s. All 3 are usable independently
Programmable thermostats, one upstairs and one downstairs, instead of a programmer.

Neutrals in both receivers to neutral terminal in connector box
Earths in both receivers to earth terminal in connector box.
Common in single channel and both permanent lives to live in connector box. (This can be 15, 16 or the live on the other terminal strip.)
3 on single channel receiver to 14 in terminal box
3 on dual channel to 7 in terminal box
4 on dual channel to 13 in terminal box.
Thank you.

3 queries.
Obviously all the ‘off’ connections are not required in the receivers?
I assume that the existing connections to terminals 13 & 14 are redundant and should be removed?
Should any existing connection to terminal 7 be removed?

Remove all the wiring to the existing programmable 'stats if they're no longer required.

It is indeed. There's something not quite right here.
The three black cables at the bottom of the box are the three valves, the white next along is the cylinder 'stat, and the white next to that is the pump.
That leaves the two white cables in the top right. Upper one is switched lives back from both heating one control, and the lower one appears to have the grey hot water control plus the boiler wires.
There must be more wiring somewhere, feeding permanent live and neutral to both programmable 'stats.
Can you trace the cable all the way from the connection box to the boiler?

It is indeed. There's something not quite right here.
The three black cables at the bottom of the box are the three valves, the white next along is the cylinder 'stat, and the white next to that is the pump.
That leaves the two white cables in the top right. Upper one is switched lives back from both heating one control, and the lower one appears to have the grey hot water control plus the boiler wires.
There must be more wiring somewhere, feeding permanent live and neutral to both programmable 'stats.
Can you trace the cable all the way from the connection box to the boiler?
That all makes sense. There is a junction box feeding the 2 white cables. Input to the junction box is 5 x standard 4 core (not all cores used on all cables).
1 & 2 run to main ‘stat and has permanent live and water control?
1 runs to secondary ‘stat and is switch only I think (it’s battery powered)
1 runs to boiler
1 is live feed?

Reply to Multizone Hive wiring for S plan system in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net