Discuss MX Pro 5 fire alarm panel programming in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oscar21

Esteemed
Reaction score
On this commercial building we are refurbishing it has the above fire alarm panel which I think is pretty much brand new, I'm not even sure it was ever fully installed as we found half a drum of FP above the ceiling, but by the time we arrived on site much of it had been gutted and cables chopped all over the place. We saved the panel and all the sensors/sounders etc and are going to re-fit it all. But before I do I want to make sure that I will be able to program it all if its not already, never touched this make before.

IMG_20230927_145821_842.jpg

I take it that L1 is loop one and add 15 is address number 15, what I cant see at the minute is how do you set the address on the sensor, there aren't any dip switches or card that I can see. Also it seems that the incoming and outgoing + and - connections are both the same terminal so there isn't an in and out as such with the cable but there is on the loop connections in the panel, does it matter in any way.

IMG_20230927_150103_507.jpg

IMG_20230927_144843_406.jpg

There should be a sticker on the base to tell you what number terminals are in and out, I know it’s 1+2 for live and 5+6 for the 0v but can never remember what is the in and out.
The addresses are set using a Hochiki programming tool. You’re right with regards to L1 and the address number but it would be good to double check the devices. Programming wise you will be able to do 99% of it at the panel but would be much quicker with a laptop, it will also depend on how the cause and effects are going to be set up as not all can be done on the panel.

Thanks, I think the 1+2 and 5+6 are solid links from what I can see so it shouldn't matter which way round they go, I think 5+6 were the + as well but I'll have to have a closer look tomorrow.

What do you mean by cause and effect, is it to do with mag locks powering down if the alarm goes off for example or shutting fire doors, that sort of thing. I don't think we have to get that involved with it to be fair, they just want the basic system back as it was before, so if there is a fire the alarm will go off. Its the same with the electrics, we are only putting a few sockets round the outside of the walls and some grid lighting in, they are leaving everything up to the tenants to do what they want with the building once they rent it. They want the tenants to be responsible for everything and not them.

Edit, is that the only way to program the heads, with a tool. If so we might run into a problem because some of the heads might be programmed as office 3 for eg when there is no longer an office 3 or we may not use all the heads again. Can you not address them from the panel itself?

You might be right with the numbers but I always just follow what it says in the sticker.
The cause and effects are what is set up for when the panel goes in to fire etc like you said if doors release, has shut down etc
The programmer only sets the address number for the device, once the panel is up and running, you then enter device, locations and zone text via the panel or laptop software. I’d recommended either downloading the panel manual and having a good read or maybe contacting a local company to come in and commission it for you? You do all the donkey work and just get them to turn up, program and sign it off.

On hockiki protocol and advanced Mc pro pannel you need the programming tool to set the address for each device this then can be auto learned at pannel and type relevant txt into the address
You also can do the set up for any I/0 units you require eg for mag locks ect

For a number of reasons I'd suggest you get some outside help.
You need the fire risk assessment, you need to know the loop current limit and how many devices you can load onto it, you need to know the cause and effect objectives, and as that one is a closed protocol you can't get the software without the manufacturers training. It would be possible to do it all with autolearn but only if the C&E is very basic and there are no integrations (e.g. lifts, mag locks, AOVs, fire shutters)

I'd imagine that a local firm would be delighted you are willing to 1st fix, but I'd get them on board and have them commission it. At end of day this is a life-saving system, and you don't want to be held responsible for it.

Reply to MX Pro 5 fire alarm panel programming in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net