Discuss My first post and it's about LED lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

hawkeyefxr

-
DIY
Reaction score
I have a small utility room at the end of my garage, it have a fluorescent fitting for lighting controlled by an infra-red sensor. I decided to change it because the tubes and/or starters fall over at the most inconvenient namely winter time when it is dark.

I have changed the fitting to a standard bayonet type and fitted an LED light. My problem is that it starts ok but when the sensor times out it just dims and never goes out. I have tried low energy light and that works ok but looks like a candle when it starts. As we just walk into the utility for the fridge mainly it's always dim in there.
I have tried the LED in a normal wall switched room and it works fine. I have a martindale and that shows no faults though i am not sure that will pick up lighting faults.
Could there be a neutral fault ? though i cannot see why when a not light works ok.

Any help much appreciated.

I have moved your thread into the genral section, it may get moved to diy by Admin, but this should get you some response in the meantime.

you can have an incompatibilty issue with the sensor and the LED. try fitting 2 x 160k 2 watt resistors in series across the L and N.

The pir unit is electronic and not a relay type. Normally switching by Diacs wouldn`t be a problem when switching filament lamps. Leds can glow off the diacs leakage. If you remove the Lout and the glowing stops this proves the point.
answer is to buy a relay switched pir sensor, or fit a small contactor, relay. You could also try increasing the load, with another light fitting.

The pir unit is electronic and not a relay type. Normally switching by Diacs wouldn`t be a problem when switching filament lamps. Leds can glow off the diacs leakage. If you remove the Lout and the glowing stops this proves the point.
answer is to buy a relay switched pir sensor, or fit a small contactor, relay. You could also try increasing the load, with another light fitting.

This is where my money is you always get a bit of leakage from the ssr buy a relay output PIR and bet the problem goes away

Thanks for the quick replies, I liked the idea of the resistors but it would not work within box as it is a live in live out type, no neutral.

I pit for LED's seems best all round.

Hey Damian nice to to say you mate!!

Reply to My first post and it's about LED lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net