Search the forum,

Discuss My first weeks practical in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

Virtualcom13at

I started my first weeks practical last Monday and must admit I am a little disappointed. me and around 10 others arrived at Watford centre and within 30 mins of talking we got given paperwork of 2 lighting circuits (Pretend upstairs and downstairs) and had to start from scratch straight from the consumer unit in separate bays. none of us have had any experience before so as you can imagine we were staring at the ceiling scratching our heads. the tutor was about as helpful as a fart in a space suit. Hardly around to ask questions and when we did manage to ask something we might as well of not bothered. for example I got to the point of running a continuity test and not having a clue how as we have not got to that stage I asked him and all he said was go to class room and look in the book then come back and tell me how you do it. I could of done that at home. granted I feel I could repeat the 2 circuits this time around with much more confidence so I have learned something but I feel it was at no help of the tutor. each person on this course has paid around £7500 and all the practical felt like was that we could use there facility's to give it a go. Sorry but I had to get it of my chest and don't really feel that we was getting our moneys worth. after all I do actually want to understand this subject not just pass an exam.

which provider mate doesnt sound good for that kind of money mate

i paid private and it wasnt as dear as your course mate they should be there to answer any questions you have especially for 7k

I knew how to do the wiring i was there for the theory testing and exams so ended up helping others on the course
Mate college is best route wasnt really a option i thought i had open to me but now 2 yrs after doing the private rip off course i find myself having done 2391 last year seperatley and now on 2330 lv3 at college wishing i had gone the college route from the start 2 yrs it would have been done now

I have been involved on and off for 25 yrs but gave my apprenticeship up at 16 like a idiot and how i have paid forthat one since

mate i think i woukld be asking for a full refund if they dont give you help and advice for 7K

Last edited:
I done a bit of research and the price is about mid range for this type of course. I am actually quite happy with it but just bad luck on the tutor as I heard from some of the other guys this was his first week at this place (he has been lecture for a while though) and they told me the other tutors at this facility where/are excellent. They would/will tell you a few tricks of the trade and explain things properly if not understood and so on. So in all fairness to the company they do seem good but just bad luck for me I think mate. My course will give me enough qualifications to be called fully qualified electrician at the end and also able me to be registered with NICEIC or equivalent. also i am learning PV solar. so I am still happy just a little gutted that's all.

I'm intrigued as to where this was also as I must mention it was not with me (some of you guys know I teach in Watford).

Just a bit of comparison for the OP, I ran a beginners week last week also.
I also gave them drawings to do, but needless to say I was discussing it with them and referring to the white board and all sorts.
It's probable that you didn't have a good week due to the number of students in the room. I had 3 in mine and within the week they were able to install all typical final circuits within a dwelling and more importantly were successful at being able to do cable calculations and sizing of cpc calculations effectively.
I've had one guy contact me today wanting some more adiabatic scenarios for him to practice with.

Which training provider are you using?

May I also add that 7k appears ridiculous, what exactly are you receiving for that?

Last edited:
well trhen if you get all quals that will be either
2382-10, 2377, 2391, 2330 lv2 and 3 pv solar not sure of number NVQ lv3 2356
or 2382-10, 2391-10, 2377, 2357 which is replacing 2330 and the nvq

how many weeks training mate

My course will give me enough qualifications to be called fully qualified electrician at the end and also able me to be registered with NICEIC or equivalent. also i am learning PV solar. so I am still happy just a little gutted that's all.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but you have about as much chance of being a fully qualified electrician at the end of your course(s) as seeing pink pigs with wings flying around you. Your telling us that yourself, you will finish this course with absolutly no practical experience whatsoever. Don't for a moment think that any practical taught at your training centre bears any relationship to the big real world out there because it doesn't!!

You will need to gain your experience, ....preferably by being/working with a qualified electrician of many years experience, very similar to Greensparks, who is a member of this forum. These training centre's are at best misleading students and at worst telling them outright lies, when they tell you that you'll be a fully qualified electrician. What you will leave that training centre with, is the bare basics.

Contrary to what you have been told by others, there is NO quick route to becoming a fully qualified electrician, and you can take that to the bank!!! Don't get me wrong i'm not trying to have a pop at you at all here, it's the lies these training centre's tell prospective clients and the overall modern day training set-ups that abound in the UK these days that really angers me!!....

no practical experience whatsoever. Don't for a moment think that any practical taught at your training centre bears any relationship to the big real world out there because it doesn't!!

Well I have been in the building trade for over 13 years, married with children so I am sure I have an idea of what the BIG REAL WORLD holds. the course is 18 months long give or take depending on how much time you are able to put into it, and half way through the course they will find you work experience and at the end a job plus I have already sorted out work experience for my self so all is not bad. all I was saying is I can be a called a qualified electrician on completing this course. obviously it goes without saying that I also need experience in the trade but hey only time can do that.

18 months sounds short im doing 1 day release per week at collage and getting 4 days electrical exsperiance on site my course take 4 years plus i then need to pass other tests to get further. ive been in the electrical industry for 4 years now and learning more every day im now entering my 3rd year i do domestic and commercial. Theres so much to learn dont see how you can achieve this in such short time

outcome qualifications
17 Th edition of the IEE wiring regulations C & G 2382
electrical portable appliance testing C & G 2377
Appointed first aid HSE certificate
EAL certificate domestic installer scheme

Plus local to me work experiences and full time job and 5 Weeks practical and basic tools plus all books included

Hi mate

think engineer is just trying to explain that these private courses will tell you anything like they did me i had over 25 yrs experience but gae my apprenticeship up to great regret

did one of these private courses for the theory , inspection testing etc as well as some quals

I only chose this route as i had begged for yrs to get on a apprentice type course and was told there wasnt any help with training funding or self employment etc etc

paid over 4k came out thinking all good then realised not many if any employers would take me on with the quals i had so did 2391 at college evenings and i studied every day for over 4 months easy 12hrs a day

now i am doing 2330 lv3 and possibly lv2 exams and registered for a nvq which will be very difficult to complete without help and supervision from experienced JIb spark

i would have started on lv1 2330 if someone would give me a chance I aint proud and know the world of electricity is far bigger than my knowledge or experience

the quals you will get mate above are the basics to join a part p approved scheme you cant get JIB status with them so in effect you are not going to be a fully qualified spark only a domestic installer and as engineer says the real world of installing and testing is a far cry from the rigs and bays you get at college or private courses

good luck mate I could kick myself for giving someone £4k for 6 weeks theory and practical training especially as it took me yrs to save this oh i got a megger 1552 , bs7671 , OSG CK toolkit a large folder of material for the course and 2382-10, 2377, 2393, and electrical competence achievment logic full scope lvA award and defined scopes b,c ad this is the basics mate

there is far more to know unlike these private providers would have you believe

mate for the 7K you spent you could have prob gone to able skills dartford and got a lot more quals for your money

but the best route is a apprenticeship which as i am now 41 wouldnt really be a viable option even though if someone would take me on as a apprentice again I would jump at the chance and this time complete no matter what even work for free

good luck mate i am in your position and found its not the best wish i had jsut gone the college route as far cheaper and better knowledge and quals

we live and learn

Last edited:
no practical experience whatsoever. Don't for a moment think that any practical taught at your training centre bears any relationship to the big real world out there because it doesn't!!

Well I have been in the building trade for over 13 years, married with children so I am sure I have an idea of what the BIG REAL WORLD holds. the course is 18 months long give or take depending on how much time you are able to put into it, and half way through the course they will find you work experience and at the end a job plus I have already sorted out work experience for my self so all is not bad. all I was saying is I can be a called a qualified electrician on completing this course. obviously it goes without saying that I also need experience in the trade but hey only time can do that.

Please don't think i'm having a go at you personally, ..I'm Not!!

Your 13 years in the building trade will obviously hold you in good stead in knowing how to deal with the fabrics of the building, but it isn't when all said and done, putting into practice the practical elements of general electrical installation work and the why!! That is why i stated above you really need a Good period of time, working under supervision, ... preferably with qualified electrician of some years.

The way you worded your OP, gave the impression that as soon as you had completed this training with your training centre, you planned become a scam member and start offering your services as a ''fully qualified electrician'' which i'm afraid you won't be. There was a very good reason why the old indentured apprenticeships were of 3 to 4 year durations. This modern idea of gaining paper qualifications in short periods of time without daily guidance and instruction of putting the theory side of things into practice from working qualified electricians just doesn't work anywhere near as well. There is left, a bloody big hole in this sort of training method, and that hole really does need filling....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mate, much more understanding.
Even if I could find someone wiling to give me an apprentice as I am 30 there is no way I could afford to. 5 kids mate lol. This is the only route I am able to change my career to an electrician from a decorator. the way I see its a foot in the right direction, an expensive one yes but its the only direction I am able to go in due to circumstances. I am sure once I get into the job there will be many other things I will have to do to reach my complete goal.

Sorry if I came across a bit pi**off to any of the reply but I was and am still very happy with my choice and cant wait to actually be working as an electrician so please don't burst my bubble.

I get I wont be fully qualified but I will become qualified enough to start my career as an electrician and be able to get employment so its all good for me.

Please don't think i'm having a go at you personally, ..I'm Not!!

Your 13 years in the building trade will obviously hold you in good stead in knowing how to deal with the fabrics of the building, but it isn't when all said and done, putting into practice the practical elements of general electrical installation work and the why!! That is why i stated above you really need a Good period of time, working under supervision, ... preferably with qualified electrician of some years.

The way you worded your OP, gave the impression that as soon as you had completed this training with your training centre, you planned become a scam member and start offering your services as a ''fully qualified electrician'' which i'm afraid you won't be. There was a very good reason why the old indentured apprenticeships were of 3 to 4 year durations. This modern idea of gaining paper qualifications in short periods of time without daily guidance and instruction of putting the theory side of things into practice from working qualified electricians just doesn't work anywhere near as well. There is left, a bloody big hole in this sort of training method, and that hole really does need filling....

I understand where your coming from mate and I most defiantly understand I need to gain good experience as that's been my aim from the start. The course do put you in a job after where the employer understands you have just come out of that course and will pair you with others with experience. Then you can build up your on site knowledge witch you could not learn in the classroom. That was a big factor in my decision to choice this company.

Thanks mate, much more understanding.
Even if I could find someone wiling to give me an apprentice as I am 30 there is no way I could afford to. 5 kids mate lol. This is the only route I am able to change my career to an electrician from a decorator. the way I see its a foot in the right direction, an expensive one yes but its the only direction I am able to go in due to circumstances. I am sure once I get into the job there will be many other things I will have to do to reach my complete goal.

Sorry if I came across a bit pi**off to any of the reply but I was and am still very happy with my choice and cant wait to actually be working as an electrician so please don't burst my bubble.

I get I wont be fully qualified but I will become qualified enough to start my career as an electrician and be able to get employment so its all good for me.

I would never try or intend to Burst your Bubble, This is a great industry to be a part of. ....Just trying to make you aware, there is a lot more to becoming an electrician, than these training centre's will have told you, or have you believe, ....That's all mate!!!

outcome qualifications
EAL certificate domestic installer scheme

Plus local to me work experiences and full time job and 5 Weeks practical and basic tools plus all books included

Please say you forgot to add training and the exams for the C&G 2391 to that list, at the price you are paying!!

Mate i started looking for courses around 2004 -5 and looked at every provider etc but all the private ones are limited in quals experience etc

able skills give you the most for your money but as i live up north would have been added burden of travel and paying etc for digs £20 a night so chose one closer which gave the bare minimum

I learned more than i did in a year at college but still not enough the did the 2391 studying for this myself taught me far more
and now hoping 2330 will teach me more

if there was a sparky that needed a lacky i wouldnt be to proud to jump as the experience he would give you is priceless mate i would even consider working for free

as at the minute i am a full time carer for the mrs and part time semi spark lol think i will be still learing when i retire lol at this rate jsut hope one day to have the quals ad experience etc to be a fully qualified spark which i would have been if a had fiished my apprenticeship which was all paid for
what a Idiot 16 -17 yr old i was

Last edited:
if there was a sparky that needed a lacky i wouldnt be to proud to jump as the experience he would give you is priceless mate i would even consider working for free

what a Idiot 16 -17 yr old i was[/QUOTE]

mate at least you tried at 16-17. More than most of us can say.

I have thought from the begging that I will ring around for work experience and obviously not expect a penny unless they want to pay me something of course lol.

This is my course then.

NCS new career skills
Watford centre

18 - 36 months depending on time put in.

740 hour theory
5 weeks practical

work experience when 50 % complete
job when 100 % completed if chosen to be employed or
Help setting up if wanting self employment
Tool box, starter tools and continuity tester
All books included

Qualifications are

EAL certificate domestic installer scheme Part p compliant
C & G 2392
logic Photovoltaic installers course Photovoltaic trade installers card

Cost £7295.00

Last edited by a moderator:
I have looked into that course mate and every other in last few yrs distance was a factor in that one as i said mrs carer so wasnt really a option at beginning

yeah get some experience when and how you can as then you will learn the theory and the practical on the course and leanr how to put into practice in the job

A good electricain will teach you things you would have took an age to figure out and what books dont tell you

GOOD LUCK mate you look committed its the providers and the people who dream all this up who are at fault there should be 1 set of quals for all and no matter what age a way to get in
think the new QCF framework addresses some of this but the downside you have to be employed in industryu to get on them courses unless they change there minds again at the C&G and whoever else decides

I was told 2391-10 inspection and testing 2391-20 design course was for life but now been told after december it ends and in 5 yrs we will have to take new 2394 initial verification 2395 PIR?eicr 2396 Design and verification and then every 5 yrs i think
2382-10 and -20 end replaced with 2382-12
all quals are ending either december and 2330 and 2356 last registration july 2012

the new diploma 2357 will replace these and is nvq and 2330 in one with a new renewables unit i believe well read lol

Its a money grabbing scam when people are struggling the most they are fighting to take your cash from you mate

Reply to My first weeks practical in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net