Discuss Negative ions emitter device not working when switched on. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have an electrically operated device whose purpose is to emit trillions of negative ions. When it is on it shows an orange light and you can feel a slight breeze coming from the negative ion emitters. However, it is not working now. The orange light will not come on when it is switched on and I can't feel the breeze. I have tried changing the 3 amp fuse. There is a switch in the cable. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it's not working?

If you have tried it in another (known working) socket and it is the same then you are kind of out of sensible options.

It may well be too expensive to repair it, but if less than a year old should be under guarantee.

If it’s not the fuse in the plug, and the socket is ok (test with another appliance) then there could be an internal fuse, or a loose connection. Maybe not cost effective to repair.

can I ask what a negative ion emitter does?

(yes, I know it emits negative ions.... but what does it DO??)

If it’s not the fuse in the plug, and the socket is ok (test with another appliance) then there could be an internal fuse, or a loose connection. Maybe not cost effective to repair.

can I ask what a negative ion emitter does?

(yes, I know it emits negative ions.... but what does it DO??)
I wouldn't like to say for sure. It is described here: NaturAir Ionizer | Center for Environmental Therapeutics - https://cet.org/product/naturair-ionizer/

I just switched it off and the underside felt warm.

Last edited:
These are very simple devices and often easy to repair, be careful though as the capacitors in the voltage multiplier can remain charged for a while.

These are very simple devices and often easy to repair, be careful though as the capacitors in the voltage multiplier can remain charged for a while.
They typically consist of a very few pounds worth of capacitors, diodes and some high voltage resistors to stop the thing electrocuting anyone that touches the antenna. The rest of their highly inflated price is profit and marketing.

Sadly a lot of more modern ones are
a) More complex.
b) have a separate PSU worth checking.
c) Potted into a solid block - so not worth attempting repair.
.... Fire rated replacement parts ... mean probably better to buy new.
(an a different model .. unless reviewers note Improved reliability !)
They can cause reliability issues for TVS and PCs with fans if they share the same
room in in dry weather !

The 'other' way of doing it will be an oscillator driving a HF transformer, similar to the EHT generation in CRT televisions.
Same result as a multiplier - a negative DC voltage of a few kV with a high impedance.

Reply to Negative ions emitter device not working when switched on. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net