Discuss Neutrals in light switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

But the assessor asked for the neutrals to be fixed to back box. Wago won't achieve this!
In accordance with which reg?
The lives aren't fixed to the backbox either, the terminals in the switch are fixed to the switchplate, not the backbox. Until you screw the plate back they're in a similar predicament to neutrals in a bit of terminal block or a wago.
The reason cpcs are terminated in the backbox is to earth the backbox, not because they need to be secured; if I were terminating cpcs in a plastic backbox with a plastic switchplate I'd have no problem terminating those in a bit of connector block or wago as well.

As mentioned, I couldn't think of a reg that prohibited a neutral in a switch box. The point made about fixing to cable tie base is a valid one at least the neutrals are attached to a fixed point. As also mentioned I think the schemes like to think up these things so they can at least pick us up on something in our assessments!

I think the schemes like to think up these things so they can at least pick us up on something in our assessments!

got it in one! BS7671 rewritten by scam providers.

To make the thread more interesting----------------I always wire feed and neutrals to the switches and only have switch wires and neutrals at lights, I wago the connections in the switch boxes and also always use a minimum 10 amp rated switch in domestic situations, pick the bones out of that :smilielol5:

Maybe the assessor should be asked where in BS7671 it says what he/she is asking. How can they pick you up on what is just their personal opinion?

Ironic that there are thousands of so called qualified spakies out there doing poor work and all this assessor seems to be fussed about is something that is neither against BS7671 nor IMHO of any concern if in a suitable connector etc.... looks like they are trying to justify the extortionate charges the command.

Last edited:
To make the thread more interesting----------------I always wire feed and neutrals to the switches and only have switch wires and neutrals at lights, I wago the connections in the switch boxes and also always use a minimum 10 amp rated switch in domestic situations, pick the bones out of that :smilielol5:

Here here! When you're a lazy sod like me it's far easier and far quicker to wago up your connections at the switch (conveniently placed at arm height!) than up a ladder watching your sleeving continuously fall off your CPCs, back down to get the snips, CRAP! forgot the pliers, oops, need some brown and blue sleeving, hate heights, crooked neck, wobbly ladder, oopsy daisy off I go... Broken neck!

All you "meh, can't three plate at the switches" lot can sod off! :D

Last edited:
Beer? Cheese?
I would say those two are much better than sliced bread, in fact sliced bread is pretty rubbish in comparison.
I think 'the best thing since sliced bread' relates to 'the best thing in recent times' rather than 'the best thing ever', otherwise people would compare things to 'the best thing since beer'.

I really enjoy reading your posts Adam ....... they always are bang on the nail & make a lot of sense!! :)

Reply to Neutrals in light switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net