Search the forum,

Discuss New build ring circuit regulations -help please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I just asking for opinions on how a new build has managed to have been signed off by the builders with pretty much 1 circuit for power for the whole house ,barring 4 sockets ground floor, is this common place for new builds these days, haven't got regs handy to look up
Even of you had a regs boom handy what would you look for?

No only 2 rings for power
yes all fridge freezer tumble drier wash machine, boiler, worktop skts
kitchen 1st and 2nd on one 32a circuit

i need to know a regulation to state what I think before I say it if there is one, someone said segregation of circuits , would that apply to this

Yes that's what I thought that they are working from a spec from the designer, I yes I understand the lower loading on the top 2 floors but surely just from inconvenience if there Is future fault on the circuit this is wrong

There’s new town houses round my way, the ground floor is just a glorified large entrance hall split with a garage and a means to access the rear courtyard style garden. Is your ground floor more much more than that ?

Just thinking it through, I don’t know jack really, just interested :D

When does segregation of circuits every come in to a domestic install? Apart from segregation of band 1 and band 2 voltages, but that's not relevant here.

Segregation may be the wrong word. The separation of circuits on a dual RCD CU in a domestic dwelling may be in section 5 of the BYB. I'll have a look tomorrow night. I'm off to bed.

I have lots of segregation in my house.

1. living/dining room with 10x double sockets on a 32A RCBO

2, Annex (converted garage) with 8x double sockets on a 32A RCBO

3. Utilty room with 4x double sockets (powering fridge/frezer, washing machine & Gas tumble dryer) on a 32A RCBO

4. Kitchen with 6x double sockets (powering fridge, ignition for gas cooker & electric kettle, toaster etc) on a 32A RCBO

5. Bedrooms 1 & 2 with 4 double sockets in each on a 32A RCBO

6. Bedrooms 3 & 4 with 4 double sockets in each on a 32A RCBO

7. Lighting to living/dining room & kitchen 2x 5 lamp chandiliers, 2x 2 lamp wall lights 1x ceiling rose. all on a 6A RCBO

8. Lighting to Utility Room & Annex 3x ceiling roses all on a 6A RCBO

9. Bedrooms 1&2 + staircase lights on a 6A RCBO

10. Bedrooms 3&4 lights on a 6A RCBO

11. Central Heating on a 6A RCBO

12. Intruder alarm on a 6A RCBO

13 Smoke/Heat alarms on a 6A RCBO

14. Is earmarked for my garage at the far end of the garden once I decide what cable to use and how to run it and get my health back to a sufficient level to be able to do it. ... Just now there's no chucking fance.

The C.U. is a nice big Wylex and it - together with all the RCBOs - fell out of the back of a van otherwise there would have been no way on God's earth that I would have been so extravagant!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would describe the install as poorly thought out but not specifically breaking any regulations, though I believe it is recommended that boilers should be on their own separate circuit and supplies ought to be sub divided into sufficient circuits to minimise inconvenience.
Section 314 applies in this case but even though one can see the inconvenience of the arrangement, the circuits as circuits will be very likely to be OK and the assessment of inconvenience and hazard is down to the designer.

No only 2 rings for power
yes all fridge freezer tumble drier wash machine, boiler, worktop skts
kitchen 1st and 2nd on one 32a circuit

i need to know a regulation to state what I think before I say it if there is one, someone said segregation of circuits , would that apply to this
OP, I note from your profile, you are an electrician of 17 years experience and joined this forum some two years ago. You do not have many posts, but if you peruse this forum, you should have seen plenty of people starting threads with a 'I've got a friend, whose had his house wired by an electrician, but he's got no certificate, or I think they've used the wrong etc etc'.

As an electrician, you will have a copy of BS7671, which as a start, you could refer to the regulations you think have not been complied with.

You'll perhaps understand why some of the responses have been a little bit curt. If you could be more forthcoming from your first post, and quote the appropriate regulations, the replies would be more informative from the very experienced forum members, IMO.

Reply to New build ring circuit regulations -help please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net