Discuss New consumer unit install issue. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Iona222

Trainee
Reaction score
I'm working with my friend a sparky. He changed the consumer unit.

Before hand I checked all circuits for continuity and done quick eicr, everything was OK.

Now with the new board on were getting a neutral fault showing on socket ring. Funny thing is the rcd manual test button isn't working. On the rcd coving the said ring. You think it could be something to do with this why showing a fault on ring. Thank you.

Have you IR tested that circuit, either as part of checks before new board, or since the problem emerged?
Have you tried all circuits off and done an RCD test?
Is it a dual-rcd board - have you tried the circuit the other side - see if the problem moves?

Have you IR tested that circuit, either as part of checks before new board, or since the problem emerged?
Have you tried all circuits off and done an RCD test?
Is it a dual-rcd board - have you tried the circuit the other side - see if the problem moves?
No haven't tried these, will do.

The spark extended the cpc to reach the earth bar, he asked me what cpc I had on the van, I got him some off 10mm I had, if this wasn't the correct size would the cause more fault current to go through the the neutral, hence cause the test button not to work properl??

The spark extended the cpc to reach the earth bar, he asked me what cpc I had on the van, I got him some off 10mm I had, if this wasn't the correct size would the cause more fault current to go through the the neutral, hence cause the test button not to work properl??
What do you think?
Don't confuse yourself pal, you have two issues here -
1 - does the RCD work or not
2 - why does one circuit cause the RCD to trip

Sort out number 1 first and get the board happy with that circuit disconnected.
Then move onto sorting out number 2. IR tests are your friend, L+N to E.

What do you think?

You asked me what im thinking.

The spark has extended the cpc using the wrong size cpc causing more fault current to go through the neutral. Causing the test button not to work.
If I change the cpc to the correct size the fault current will go to earth, the neutral will be what it should be, the test button will work.
Thats what I think.

Thats what ill be doing 1st thing Tuesday

What do you think?

What do you think?

Assuming the earthing conductor should have been 16.0 replacing a short section with 10.0 will have a negligible effect. You have a neutral to earth fault on the ring final so why would a reduced earthing conductor change this.
No larger cpc that is required, if you read what I put he's put 4mm cpc on a circuit that should be 1.5mm. Does the cpc not need to be the correct size.

Reply to New consumer unit install issue. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net