Discuss New kitchen does it need own fusebox or change just the mains fusebox? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The thing is, 50 year old wiring can often test out perfectly if it hasn't been messed with over the years , but I'd certainly recommend a thorough test and inspection, there are certain faults that rewirable fuses will never react to whereas a new RCBO unit would be tripping constantly. But any decent electrician will carry out thorough testing as part of the Consumer Unit upgrade, it's necessary for the certification.

The only way any of us on here could be certain of giving the best advice would be by being 'on site' and having a proper look including a few basic tests. And even then different electricians would disagree on their idea of the best way forward.

Get the existing fuse board replaced. Doesn't look like there will be many circuits in your existing board so it shouldn't take very long to swap out.

This will enable the cabling throughout the house to be better protected. Things may begin to trip but only if there are faults in your installation and if there are, you'd much rather know they're there and have them sorted wouldn't you?

The thing is, 50 year old wiring can often test out perfectly if it hasn't been messed with over the years , but I'd certainly recommend a thorough test and inspection, there are certain faults that rewirable fuses will never react to whereas a new RCBO unit would be tripping constantly. But any decent electrician will carry out thorough testing as part of the Consumer Unit upgrade, it's necessary for the certification.
That's what the electrician said. A new mains fusebox may trip everything amd he is suggesting a rewire in the kitchen with a consumer unit just for the kitchen
He said he can change the main consumer unit but to avoid going under new units etc its best to rewire kitchen
Thoughts?

That's what the electrician said. A new mains fusebox may trip everything amd he is suggesting a rewire in the kitchen with a consumer unit just for the kitchen
He said he can change the main consumer unit but to avoid going under new units etc its best to rewire kitchen
Thoughts?
That can be an ok way of doing it

Submain ,sub-board and rewire in kitchen only

It leaves the rest of the house and main board as a separate job

There's no single right answer and there's a few variables subject to site survey

Last edited:
Thoughts?
I think you’re electrician is advising the most sensible thing here and saying to install a new ring main to kitchen to separate his work from any existing wiring/circuits. If you gave him the go ahead to do an EICR prior to the work he could then determine the condition of the existing electrics which by the looks of your photos seems pretty outdated, if your on the cautious side with costs I can see why you’re electrician is suggesting seperate consumer to cover himself for the kitchen works.

I think you’re electrician is advising the most sensible thing here and saying to install a new ring main to kitchen to separate his work from any existing wiring/circuits. If you gave him the go ahead to do an EICR prior to the work he could then determine the condition of the existing electrics which by the looks of your photos seems pretty outdated, if your on the cautious side with costs I can see why you’re electrician is suggesting seperate consumer to cover himself for the kitchen works.
Also the builder uses a certified electrician which will include 1st fix electrics is that rewiring,,??

So first fix and new main consumer unit should be ok?
youhave 2 distinct issues here.

1.kitchen needs new circuits and can be independent of the rest of the house ( except for it's feed from the main CU).
2. the main CU needs updating , the existing wiring checked and any faults recified. this could be a simple few repairs or a complete rewire, dependeing in the conditionof the wiring, 50 years is average lifespan for an installation but you could find that the wiring is good for another 50.

above should be determined by a thorough inspection and test: then you will have a better idea of what is required. main thing is if you are going for rewiring, do it before decorating.

builder may be genuine and has a registered spark on hand. not all builders are rogues. i've worked with some good, some bad.

But the first fix in the kitchen is rewiring isn't it. Plus we are changing the main consumer unit.

If there is another issue with the electrics it wouldn't be the kitchen right? First fix is before they start decorating

builder may be genuine and has a registered spark on hand. not all builders are rogues. i've worked with some good, some bad.
He is. They are a big firm and do lots of extensive building work, extensions, full refurbishments, loft conversions
They do big jobs. Also he sent me a hole list of clients he's completed work with in the past 12 months with their email number and full address for reference purposes. I happen to know a couple

Reply to New kitchen does it need own fusebox or change just the mains fusebox? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net