Discuss New kitchen does it need own fusebox or change just the mains fusebox? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If I recall, there will be new circuits for the kitchen, so it would be better to change the fusebox first, so the kitchen electrician has a new consumer unit to connect his circuits into. Otherwise he/she might just leave the cable ends dangling for someone else to connect later. (And might even use it as an excuse not to provide a certiifcate.)

Hi Guys

We decided on rewiring in kitchen with its own fusebox

The electrician did the first fix stage and is coming back next week for the fusebox and second fix. I forgot to mention to him about the light, its going to be the same length batton strip light just a newer one. They are starting the plastering tomorrow including skimming the ceiling etc

Is this going to be a problem or can he just change the light over with the new one after the plastering is done
.thank you

Hi Guys

We decided on rewiring in kitchen with its own fusebox

The electrician did the first fix stage and is coming back next week for the fusebox and second fix. I forgot to mention to him about the light, its going to be the same length batton strip light just a newer one. They are starting the plastering tomorrow including skimming the ceiling etc

Is this going to be a problem or can he just change the light over with the new one after the plastering is done
.thank you

You need to speak to him to be honest. But you don't want to skim round the existing fitting and then change it.

You need to speak to him to be honest. But you don't want to skim round the existing fitting and then change it.
We're not changing the fitting just the light itself inside, the batton. I dont know how this works so I don't know if he has to change the wiring because of the new fusebox he is putting in next week

We're not changing the fitting just the light itself inside, the batton. I dont know how this works so I don't know if he has to change the wiring because of the new fusebox he is putting in next week
Basically the light shape will be the same its a long batton kind of light

So the kitchen light will be on the old wiring, instead of being on the new fuse box?

Probably better that way so there is light when the new box is being worked on.

So the kitchen light will be on the old wiring, instead of being on the new fuse box?

Probably better that way so there is light when the new box is being worked on.

I took it that it would be on the kitchen supply, but the cable needed replacing. Having said that, I'm confused now.

OP, I think you should make sure your sparky and plasterer are both working to the same plan.

I took it that it would be on the kitchen supply, but the cable needed replacing. Having said that, I'm confused now.

OP, I think you should make sure your sparky and plasterer are both working to the same plan.
The fusebox will be in a cupboard next to the kitchen. He hasn't done anything with the wiring for the main light does this have to be on the new fusebox or can he simply change the fitting after the plastering is done. Its the same length and design just a modern one

The fusebox will be in a cupboard next to the kitchen. He hasn't done anything with the wiring for the main light does this have to be on the new fusebox or can he simply change the fitting after the plastering is done. Its the same length and design just a modern one
Assuming the wire is in good condition then it is fine just to replace the baton light (presumably with a new LED style).

With a very similar fitting too? It won't affect the plastering?

Surely the light fitting won't be fitted on the ceiling while the plastering is being done? Is that what you mean - the plasterer will plaster around the fitting?

Surely the light fitting won't be fitted on the ceiling while the plastering is being done? Is that what you mean - the plasterer will plaster around the fitting?
What i mean is if they plaster around the old fitting then replace the new one which is the same length and width do you think the plasterers can do that . And new wiring won't be needed for this. He has done first fix electrics elsewhere in the kitchen and added new sockets etc

What i mean is if they plaster around the old fitting then replace the new one which is the same length and width do you think the plasterers can do that . And new wiring won't be needed for this. He has done first fix electrics elsewhere in the kitchen and added new sockets etc

Get the electrician involved well before any plastering takes place.

Reply to New kitchen does it need own fusebox or change just the mains fusebox? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net