Discuss New kitchen does it need own fusebox or change just the mains fusebox? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Can a plug socket (not hardwired) be at the back of a fridge freezer, providing there is an isolation switch. Im going to ask my electrician but wanted to ask here too

Can a plug socket (not hardwired) be at the back of a fridge freezer, providing there is an isolation switch. Im going to ask my electrician but wanted to ask here too

What do you mean by not hard wired? Do you mean an extension cable that is plugged into a different socket somewhere?

Better to have a 'proper' fixed socket while the wiring is being redone.

Yes a standard socket can be fitted behind a fridge. This is very common.
But with an isolation switch
I've read a plug socket behind the fridge (and this is a third up from the base of the bridge) is dangerous. Because of heat and leaks? That's what I read
But we have an isolation switch

It is quite common in Scotland where the building regulations specify that "white goods" should have an accessible means of isolation to have an un-switched 13A socket behind the fridge/washing machine/etc and then a 20A switch above the worktop area so you can switch it off without having the move it.

EDIT: By "quite common" I mean in newer kitchens wired by an electrician.

But with an isolation switch
I've read a plug socket behind the fridge (and this is a third up from the base of the bridge) is dangerous. Because of heat and leaks? That's what I read
But we have an isolation switch
Plenty bull***t around.......and not just on the internet.
Read and take in #112 and #120. Get the electrician to explain his intentions instead of faffing about and, seemingly, getting nowhere.

Plenty bull***t around.......and not just on the internet.
Read and take in #112 and #120. Get the electrician to explain his intentions instead of faffing about and, seemingly, getting nowhere.
Oh so our electrician completed 2nd fix today and installed plug sockets. He put a plug socket behind the cooker about a 3rd in from the ground amd and isolation switch on the wall to the left. I thought it would be hard wired. Is this safe? Its a double gas oven with option for electric grill inside

I spoke to my electrician and he explained its safe but I didnt understand the terms he used

Oh so our electrician completed 2nd fix today and installed plug sockets. He put a plug socket behind the cooker about a 3rd in from the ground amd and isolation switch on the wall to the left. I thought it would be hard wired. Is this safe? Its a double gas oven with option for electric grill inside

I spoke to my electrician and he explained its safe but I didnt understand the terms he used
The heat won't melt the plug?

You say “option” for an electric grill? Is it there or not?
Otherwise, the electric is just for an igniter or clock. Hardly any load.
Even with a grill, that’s only maybe 2800W. Fine on a plug, IF the appliance came with a plug fitted. If not, would have put into a connection plate.

Should still be on its own circuit at over 2kW not just off the general sockets ring.

Even with a grill, that’s only maybe 2800W. Fine on a plug, IF the appliance came with a plug fitted. If not, would have put into a connection plate.

Should still be on its own circuit at over 2kW not just off the general sockets ring.
Its the belling 60g cookcentre its 2 gas and an electric grill so basically you can use the 2nd oven as a grill

Its the belling 60g cookcentre its 2 gas and an electric grill so basically you can use the 2nd oven as a grill

It came with a plug and we have our own fusebox just for the new electrics in the kitchen

I give up! 🥺

It came with a plug and we have our own fusebox just for the new electrics in the kitchen
The electrician has done a good job and from what you’ve explained on here raises no issue to concern. I really don’t understand what you’re problem is with the electrician. You’re looking for faults on here but absolutely nothing wrong with the install pay him up

The electrician has done a good job and from what you’ve explained on here raises no issue to concern. I really don’t understand what you’re problem is with the electrician. You’re looking for faults on here but absolutely nothing wrong with the install pay him up
Of course I paid him!
I was double checking some things. It was a big refurbishment of the whole kitchen and it was completed Tuesday 21st December and they only asked for payment on 23rd

The building company didn't charge me for any of the sockets just for the new fusebox and 1st fix and a certificate

Do you usually have to pay for a certificate as an additional cost or does that just come as a package with a new fusebox

Merry Christmas by the way

The test certificate should come as part of the work, as it’s not actually complete without the cert, neither should it be energised before being tested….. however, many electricians who have been stung in the past concerning being paid on time hold back the cert until payment has been made. The testing and certificate has been done, it’s just not in the hands of the customer.

If you’ve paid, there’s no reason to withhold the cert.

Hi All

I received the electrical certificate just to confirm we had new wiring in the kitchen and fusebox and on the cert it just says new kitchen circuits then on another page he has listed what circuits etc

Should it say "fusebox installed" also
?

He has also sent me the building regulations paperwork he is NICEIC registered

Before asking him i just don't want to sound stupid

Thank you

Hi All

I received the electrical certificate just to confirm we had new wiring in the kitchen and fusebox and on the cert it just says new kitchen circuits then on another page he has listed what circuits etc

Should it say "fusebox installed" also
?

He has also sent me the building regulations paperwork he is NICEIC registered

Before asking him i just don't want to sound stupid

Thank you
Does it need to say something along the lines of "new kitchen fusebox installed for new kitchen circuits "

It just says "new kitchen circuits "

Devil might be in the details, it should at least identify the fact there is more than one DB (CU) now, though all that really matters is the new circuits were properly designed and implemented (i.e. tested)

Reply to New kitchen does it need own fusebox or change just the mains fusebox? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net