Discuss New kitchen does it need own fusebox or change just the mains fusebox? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There's also the assumption that the existing cable is fine. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't - no one knows, so get the electrician in and let them decide before plastering the ceiling. Chances are they can also leave some temporary lighting arrangement that allows a decent finish on the new ceiling.

There's also the assumption that the existing cable is fine. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't - no one knows, so get the electrician in and let them decide before plastering the ceiling. Chances are they can also leave some temporary lighting arrangement that allows a decent finish on the new ceiling.

I'm waiting to see the plasterers face when he does a perfect finish around this light and then someone walks up and takes it down.

If you ask the electrician nicely they may be willing to pop around and take it down for you.
Some plasterers I know are confident enough to remove a light fitting while they work so you might get lucky.
Get the electrician involved well before any plastering takes place.
Agree, the wisdom of posting on this forum at 4pm today when the problem was identified instead of contacting the electrician is a little bit debatable!
It does make a refreshing change that a new kitchen doesn't automatically mean 8 downlights though!

As above folk say, get the old light off BEFORE the plastering is done. Then the new one up.

The point about like-for-like replacement (so here, similar baton light) is that does not require the circuit to be brought up to recent regs, so fine on the old main fuse box assuming the cable is OK and long enough, etc.

If you were having additional lights fitted then it should meet the current regs and that usually means on RCD protection as generally speaking the cable won't be guaranteed to be deeper than 50mm from any surface where it is hidden (there is more to it than that, but usually that is the deciding factor).

builder may be genuine and has a registered spark on hand. not all builders are rogues. i've worked with some good, some bad.
I worked for a builder many moons ago, and when the electrician was off site he used a roll of the sparks 2.5 cable to pull up a bucket load of cement to the roof. Then wound it back up and said nothing.

I know. So take it down before the plastering!

What if the plaster gets damaged while you're trying to remove it?

Why why why why oh why etc etc.
I worked for a builder many moons ago, and when the electrician was off site he used a roll of the sparks 2.5 cable to pull up a bucket load of cement to the roof. Then wound it back up and said nothing.
I told the builder and he said its fine. So I guess they know what they are doing. I also read on other forums that if they bring the fixture down slightly they can plaster

I told the builder and he said its fine. So I guess they know what they are doing. I also read on other forums that if they bring the fixture down slightly they can plaster

So they're going to have to lower this unwanted light fitting down before they plaster?

Sorry to bang on but I just don't get it.

No reason for the sparks to complain. He left a 100m reel, and got back a 105m reel.
Yeah I think the plasterer is going to remove it while they do it. They're a big building firm and have every trade on hand. They do huge extensions and major refurbishments so the director said it will be OK I told him whats what and he is confident its fine

Yeah I think the plasterer is going to remove it while they do it. They're a big building firm and have every trade on hand. They do huge extensions and major refurbishments so the director said it will be OK I told him whats what and he is confident its fine

So after all these posts and comments about plastering around the light, you now say they are actually going to take it down before they plaster.

Could you not have mentioned this about 15 posts up?

I'll just leave a link to this salient comment:

...and again question the wisdom of seeking advice that you fully intend to ignore, if it doesn't affirm a decision you've already taken.

OP is fromLondon.have to make allowances. they don't know their arses from their elbows south of Birmingham. ( just look at that ridiculous round tent by the river and that Shard thing that looks like a RGB strip installed bya plumber).).

OP is fromLondon.have to make allowances. they don't know their arses from their elbows south of Birmingham. ( just look at that ridiculous round tent by the river and that Shard thing that looks like a RGB strip installed bya plumber).).
I'll ave u know I woz born n dragged up in the smoke.

I'll ave u know I woz born n dragged up in the smoke.
we can't all be perfect. could make you an honorary Scouser. just make a £5K cheque out payable to:

Crisis Assistance Scouser Hostelries. Bit long winded?.

just use the initials C.A.S.H.

So after all these posts and comments about plastering around the light, you now say they are actually going to take it down before they plaster.

Could you not have mentioned this about 15 posts up?
Hi All

Our electrician is installing a new fusebox just for the kitchen with new wiring
However he has made connections/boxes for our applicances to be hardwired so that it will all be connected to the new fusebox

My worry is, that we bought an expensive fridge cooker and washing machine and this may invalidate the warranty???

Does anyone know anything about this your advice would be appreciated

Thank you

Reply to New kitchen does it need own fusebox or change just the mains fusebox? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net