Discuss New kitchen does it need own fusebox or change just the mains fusebox? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ell4848

DIY
Reaction score
New kitchen will be installed. Do we need to rewire the kitchen? The fusebox we have is ancient and our electrician has recommended to rewire kitchen then have a consumer unit just for the kitchen electrics as he said things may trip because our consumer unit is old but my builder who covers all of this said we can change the main fusebox in the house and he's included first fix electrics in his quote

We are not changing too much when it comes to the electrics, some advice would be very much appreciated

We will be replacing the kitchen light fixture that is already there(ceiling) and replacing with something similar.

The washing machine will need a new socket installed ( double socket) and plumbing as its being moved completely to the opposite side of the kitchen where it is now

Fridge is staying in same location

The gas cooker will be moved approximately 50-60cm to the left of its current location and the new gas cooker will have an electric grill inside, the previous one was all gas (new cooker will have double gas oven with electric grill)

We would want to replace all socket covers currently there as well for aesthetics
Thank you in advance

The ancient fuse board will need upgrading before long. In fact the next bit of electrical work you have done will need it.
Putting a mini board just for the kitchen is kicking the can down the road.

Change the Fusebox for a nice new shiny consumer unit and the whole house will benefit from the safety snd other features afforded you.

I would question your choice of electrician if he’s scared to change a fuse board because it “things might trip”

Not seeing your kitchen lay out if the said
Spark recommendeds a rewire then I would go with that separate consumer unit will be in order.
Thanks. I suggested this to our electrician and he suggested rewiring then have own fusebox just for kitchen.

He said if he changes the main fusebox it could trip what's in the kitchen? And because its a new kitchen he said we wouldn't want to go behind cupboard etc

Are you an electrician? What do you think. Would the new applicances and new socket trip?

With so little extra wiring , upgrading at the main board would seem the logical choice

Could end up with kitchen rewire and new main board or even extra sub -board, hard to say without a survey

Last edited:
Are you an electrician? What do you think. Would the new applicances and new socket trip?
No. Why on earth would they? It will be new wiring in the kitchen, new appliances.
I think what your so-called electrician is saying is that existing faults in the old wiring may need attention if a new consumer unit is installed replacing the ancient fuse board.
Well, that is of course possible. But I’m sure that you wouldn’t want a dodgy connection in the old wiring sparking away and catching fire, would you.
And, as I said above, when the next project comes along - perhaps new bathroom lighting, or an additional socket - that will require RCD protection and you’ll need a new consumer unit at that time, and the existing installation will need testing and faults repaired anyway.
Now’s the time. Just do it right.

I expect he's thinking he doesn't want the can of worms that could be the rest of the house or that it's a lot easier for him to give you a firm price if he sticks to just pricing the new work and then separating the new from old with a separate consumer unit. Realistically you are probably better to change your consumer unit now as well but I do understand why he has said that.

Reply to New kitchen does it need own fusebox or change just the mains fusebox? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net