Discuss New sub board for shed swa advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

[QUOTE="
I can find publications from The IET and Stroma describing how to export the installation earth to outbuildings.
There is even a video by John Ward detailing how to export the earth.
That’s without really trying.

You on the other hand are unable to find anything at all to back your claims.

Why is this?[/QUOTE]

I can go one better. I've exported the suppliers earth AND stuck in an earth stake just for good measure! I must've killed countless innocents during the past 30 years of meddling with electrics! Hang on, is that the police at my door?

They can refuse to provide an earth connection.

ESQCR section 8 first paragraph.
But it’s okay for you to use their earth?! It’s not a bad thing because when their neutral goes and someone dies they just go ‘he didn’t have permission from us’!!! I can show you a whole estate that was section 24’d because of supplies to garages done by a part P wonder. You are either a really sh*t troll or you genuinely think what you proclaim, which is worrying.
Oh yeah, of course.
8.—(1) A generator or distributor shall ensure that, so far as is reasonably practicable, his network does not become disconnected from earth in the event of any foreseeable current due to a fault.

This is from Section 24 of ESQCR:
“(4) Unless he can reasonably conclude that it is inappropriate for reasons of safety, a distributor shall, when providing a new connection at low voltage, make available his supply neutral conductor or, if appropriate, the protective conductor of his network for connection to the protective conductor of the consumer’s installation.”
That’s a statutory requirement, the DNO must by law allow a consumer to connect their installation earth to the network neutral or in the case of TN-S the network CPC.
Yes the DNO can refuse connection, but only if the installation does not comply with BS7671 or for safety reasons or if it will disrupt the network.
An Installation that complies with BS7671 is deemed to be safe for connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect members to get a bit cross and even a bit rude with other members who clearly don't know what they are talking about, sometimes we just can't help it! However, I would be really disappointed if the mods allowed their emotions to get the better of them and take sides against the (albeit silly in this case) minority (no names mentioned).
Good on you mods for remaining impartial so far in this thread :)

I can go one better. I've exported the suppliers earth AND stuck in an earth stake just for good measure! I must've killed countless innocents during the past 30 years of meddling with electrics! Hang on, is that the police at my door?[/QUOTE]

Aye, all sorts of bugs whilst staking, I'll wager..:)

My my, a lot of posts since I last looked. I notice there is still no shred of evidence of this mythical rule that says all outbuildings must be TT'd though. Unless I've missed it?

My my, a lot of posts since I last looked. I notice there is still no shred of evidence of this mythical rule that says all outbuildings must be TT'd though. Unless I've missed it?

That's funny ... I thought the disagreement was about which end of the swa was connected to earth... Irrespective of the earthing arrangement of the origin or out building !

Reply to New sub board for shed swa advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net