Discuss New T&E cable... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Seen a couple of videos with Doncaster cables now producuing a T&E with the CPC already sleeved so no need to fit our own.

I also read somewhere that this will soon become the norm and will have to be installed to comply with the regs instead of the regular cable.

Any truth in that?

It would seem odd to think that a new reg would be introduced, mandating a cable only recently introduced by a single manufacturer, shortly after a recent amendment to the current edition of wiring regulations.

Funny thing is…. I was using this in Europe twenty years ago….

The only reason we sleeve the CPC is for identification so as far as I’m concerned this is a pointless exercise except if you happen to be a price job house basher and see it as yet another 5secs off the time of your already shoddy wiring.

(And before anybody cries that it’s about insulation, consider the simple fact of conduit used as cpc).

The only reason we sleeve the CPC is for identification so as far as I’m concerned this is a pointless exercise except if you happen to be a price job house basher and see it as yet another 5secs off the time of your already shoddy wiring.

(And before anybody cries that it’s about insulation, consider the simple fact of conduit used as cpc).
Furthermore a representative of Doncaster Cables themselves has also stated that it is not rated as insulation, but is merely there as identification as you state.

Where did you read it?

An Aprils fool joke created by Efixx

BS12721:2024 residential cable standard. This standard will ensure safer and more efficient wiring for your home. However, it also means that the trusty BS6004 cable will be phased out and cannot be used for new home construction or rewiring starting in April 2024

Last edited:
Since 2017 this has been a requirement in the Republic of Ireland. In addition to an insulated earth conductor it must be sized the same as the phase conductors.

Since 2017 this has been a requirement in the Republic of Ireland. In addition to an insulated earth conductor it must be sized the same as the phase conductors.
Indeed. And in more recent years it must also be certified Dca, -s2, d2, a2 or higher. (Essentially LS0H.)

And it was this 6193B which Efixx used in their April Fool's video.

I believe the IET asked them to issue a clarification as it caused such a stir in GB 😂

The last newbuild I looked at they only used earth sleeving in the CU...

This stuff……………….

Attachments

• EC44298C-2F95-4BF6-B910-EF1BD4488098.jpeg
    589.4 KB · Views: 7

Reply to New T&E cable... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net