Discuss New to the UK from Australia, just have a few Qs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i'm guessing you'll be one of the most qualified sparks on-site in this country. australia hasn't gone down the fast track route that's ruining this country.

as for agencies, i'll leave that for someone else to answer - i've usually been employed directly or i've been doing my own jobs.

How disappointing that most do not have anything positive to say about the U.K! Australia is an amazing place for sure, but you cannot beat this country for the history, its towns and citys or the people. You will have a ball here mate, all the best with the search for work.

Drinking Fosters while working isn't generally well received over here, and cut those bloody corks off your hat, they will drip water all over your board shorts when its raining!

If its sheep you are missing then look for jobs in Wales.

Disappointing news from the ECA - no joy with that 3 day course I was booked into due to low participation so I've got to wait another bloody 6 weeks now. Ah well!

never mind mate.

on the plus side, you can kick back with a few beers and watch england teaching those antipodeans how to play test match cricket. :grin:

Hi guys,

I've recently moved to London from Australia and just touching base to see what the go is with being a sparky in the UK.

So far I've got a NI number, booked in to the T64 3 day 17th edition course to convert my Aussie ticket to a UK one, booked a ECS health and safety course to get the Construction site card and I'm also looking at getting myself one of those LUCAS tickets to work in the underground. Is that basically all I'll need? Also I have Rio Tinto confined spaces and working at heights, will they transfer straight over as they're an international mob?

My aim while I'm over here is mainly to travel Europe but also just to pick up some short term 1 - 3 month contract/temp roles doing upgrades or fitouts or whatever to supplement the income, seems to be a little bit of that type of work in the job ads here in London.

Cheers, Pat.

P.S great forum by the way.
what the hell for?
no offence mate but you would be better going back home....
christ are you in for a shock...

Reply to New to the UK from Australia, just have a few Qs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net