Discuss No continuity on cooker circuit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Iona222

Trainee
Reaction score
Not getting a continuity reading on the cooker circuit. I'm doing I.r. test and its low between l. N. Any ideas what the issue could be.

The cooker sockets is working also.

Neon on switch between L and N?
also, what continuity test are you doing?

What reading are you getting. You will only get a line to cpc reading if you have connected a link across them.

Not getting a continuity reading on the cooker circuit. I'm doing I.r. test and its low between l. N. Any ideas what the issue could be.

The cooker sockets is working also.
What exactly do you mean by not getting a continuity reading? how low was the IR Test? cooker sockets is working also?

Dont want batter you with too many questions but as above can you clarify. Insulation resistance test at 500v or continuity test.

I have mate. I'm not getting a reading. When I link line and neutral I get 0.10 ohms

So there must be a break in either the live or the earth. Now, along with the line-to-neutral being OK, you say the socket is working so those may be a clue.

I bet Zs is poor. Although obviously dead tests should be sorted first.

Last edited:
This is a matter of deduction, three conductors and two linked are fine but the third when linked is not so what does this tell you.

Zs for the installion is OK. But everything fine apart from no continuity on the line earth at cooker. Obviously if there's a fault the breaker might to work

Sound mate.

Zs for the installion is OK. But everything fine apart from no continuity on the line earth at cooker. Obviously if there's a fault the breaker might to work

Sound mate.
Test cont between LN LE NE IR the same and publish the results,

Are you linking out at the CU and then testing at the cooker isolator or the connector plate lower down? Make sure you are breaking it down correctly. Test just the feed cable (unless that's what your having issues with...) then just the cable from the switch to the connector plate. This will rule out bad connections.

If you are testing with the switch inline and it's not been used before (brand new) make sure you rule out a faulty accessory

Last edited:
Tell the client the have a fault. They need to get fixed. I'm just doing the eicr. I'm rubbish at fault finding mate.

Ah sorry. You've got a trainee badge on your status so assumed you were still learning. Obviously wouldn't be doing EICRs if you were. Be worth getting the mods to remove that if that's the case.

Tell the client the have a fault. They need to get fixed. I'm just doing the eicr. I'm rubbish at fault finding mate.
Fear not it does get easier.
If it's an EICR I'd probably have started with a Zs test using the socket on the cooker plate. In under a minute you'd know you have a CPC issue, either broken or termination issue.

Reply to No continuity on cooker circuit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net