Discuss Notifying DNO for first EV install in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

So I plan on installing my first EV charger soon. What's the usual route. Do I notify the DNO and sit and wait for approval or is there a shortcut? What are most electricians doing? I've met a couple who are claiming to be 'banging out' EV chargers but that doesn't really chime well with 'sitting and waiting' for approval. Are many people installing EV chargers and skipping approval altogether?

Thanks

Spynage

You must "Apply to Connect" if the maximum demand is above 60A/phase. If it doesn't exceed 60A/phase then you can use the "Connect & Notify". When I have needed to "Apply to Connect" there has been no real hassle dealing with the DNO here. Can't comment on other DNOs though.

Is notifying still strictly required?

If joe bloggs can buy a charger from screwfix and knock it in himself, is there still a need?

They all seem to have PEN fault detection and some sort of load management… so is it just so the DNO know beforehand when their infrastructure is going into meltdown?

Is notifying still strictly required?

If joe bloggs can buy a charger from screwfix and knock it in himself, is there still a need?

They all seem to have PEN fault detection and some sort of load management… so is it just so the DNO know beforehand when their infrastructure is going into meltdown?
Yes it's legally required.

I understand its so the DNO's can plan future work if there's a lot of EV charge points in one area.. They may need to increase capacity....

But for the minimum non-granny chargers? the 7kW or so?

They surely all come with load management now... so they can never reach 60A without some throttling.

I understand its so the DNO's can plan future work if there's a lot of EV charge points in one area.. They may need to increase capacity....

But for the minimum non-granny chargers? the 7kW or so?

They surely all come with load management now... so they can never reach 60A without some throttling.
Yes, but they still need to know how many are in use in the area in order to ensure that the infrastructure is capable. It's not like every installation drawing 60A/phase is no problem for the DNO.

I’m convinced.

But I bet there’s more installed without notification than those mentioned in #7
Yes correct and the dno are moving on this... all those ozev funded installs have been shared with the dno now. SSEN are cross checking and writing to owners asking who fitted etc and requiring retrospective notifications. causing a right lot of work for them with cut out changes and can if they wish order it be disconnected

Reply to Notifying DNO for first EV install in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net