Discuss Odd CU cabinet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Does anyone know how a full new CU would be fitted in such a cabinet, without ripping the whole thing out? Anyone ever come across and done one? It looks like no space for a new metal CU, as metal at the top impedes. Maybe move the meter to bottom right, near to where the LAP box is, but seals would then need to be broken.

The LAP box is just one 32A ring with a RCD and mcb.

1619542035897.png

I assume by looking at the two, this is not a fit all types CU by Wylex.

You need to check dimensions carefully what would fit this box in your photo, you might or might not find a unit that does.

I've fitted one once in a meter box that looks pretty much like your photo, but it was maybe 8 years ago, and all I can remember is I fitted a Wylex board and that I seem to remember having to modify slightly the meter box metalwork.

You need to check dimensions carefully what would fit this box in your photo, you might or might not find a unit that does.

I've fitted one once in a meter box that looks pretty much like your photo, but it was maybe 8 years ago, and all I can remember is I fitted a Wylex board and that I seem to remember having to modify slightly the meter box metalwork.
Look at the photo. The two top screws are 29.5 cm apart. I have seen no skeleton CU with those dimesions. Looking at the photo I gave it looks like an angle grinder has to be taken to the metalwork. There is a raised metal bar, left to right, just below the old fuses.

Look atbte photo. The two top screws are 29.5 cm apart. I have seen no skeleton CU with those dimensions. Looking at the photo I gave it looks like an angle grinder has to be taken to the metalwork.
I can't really recall the details now, but if I had to guess, I'd say the fixing holes for what I installed were different, and I vaguely also think I had to cut some metal way from the cabinet.

I seem to remember thinking it was a lot of trouble, but I was back at the property last year, and the owner reminded me how pleased they were that the consumer unit got installed in the box. I did another one more recently where I just extended the circuits into an external unit nearby, which was so much easier, but much less pleasing!

There is a food cupboard behind the metal cabinet in the kitchen. Cables can go through the wall and into the cupboard, where a new CU can be fitted. Probably a better approach.

A piece of wood can be screwed over the hole the old fuses leaves by removing the old fuses panel, hiding the cables behind. Keep the henley block extending 16mm cable tails to the new CU.

Based on my experience with a mantel cupboard and one of those boards from Wylex a year or so ago, you may be just as well finding an RCBO board that fits the width and going with that.

Because of AMD3, the Wylex skeleton boards are now just a standard enclosure with some brackets on the side, so only have the standard knockouts.

They are also quite high, so you'd need to check the dimensions - you might struggle with the meter where it is.

When removing the "shelf", look carefully and you'll see the spot welts that can be drilled out - don't waste an hour trying to cut it out with a multitool like "some" people would ? ahem

Oddly enough, my one had a Lap box with RCD for a ring too!

Attachments

• 2020-07-23 14.49.48.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 2020-08-13 19.50.28.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 32
The meter being too high is a problem. As you noted the metal CUs appear to be normal CU boxes with side brackets. May as well use a normal CU that fits in. It looks like you never used the side brackets of the CU. But moving the meter is a problem.

Last edited:

Reply to Odd CU cabinet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net