Discuss Old People With Shocking CCTS! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Wotsit

Went to do a quick job this morning, fit 2 additional sockets in an couples living room.

Unfortunately the installation was TT with three old Wylex boards protected by one ELCB the cables were rubber and the existing sockets bakerlite round pin, the bonding and earthing inadquite, and no cpc in the lighting CCT.

So to fit 2 more sockets further up the wall so they coud actually reach them they needed.

1 Earthing and Bonding Upgrade
2 New Consumer unit Dual RCD
3 All Wireing replaceing
4 All switches sockets light fittings etc replacing.

The house was huge so this would be at no small cost.

I felt aufull explaning the problem to them and the reason why i could not carry out the work, I left them with some printed litature from ELECSA reinforcing what i had explained.

I did not charge them for the breif visual inspection or the socket i replaced when it crumbled in my hands, and left them having an arguement about if they would live longer than their electricts.

The question is how do you approach this situation when you come across it, the elderly are very vunerable to being ripped off and some are very wary of this?

Would any of you approached this situation differently?

Sounds to me you have done exactly the right thing.

You could always leave it a couple of days and then follow up with a phone call.

Is there nothing you could do to make just the circuit with the sockets comply, maybe with an off board RCD?

Would have loved to do that but the cable for the ring was in a really bad condition (rubber sheaved)

I say a ring but really what was there was a 6mm ish cable running to a junction box above each couple of rooms then lots of spurs taken off this to each socket. Have you seen this before?

Last edited by a moderator:
No not seen it before, but then that doesnt mean its not common, especially in older properties.

In that case, again, you did the right thing.

Unfortunately, there was not a lot that you could do by the sounds of it.

No way of putting an offboard RCD unit with a radial to new socket position?

Assuming earthing ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its a terrible situation, that many decent electricians find themselves in so your not alone. You did the right thing for sure, But I do feel that provided you don't leave the install any less safe than it is, and put the sockets on a new circuit with rcd protection you should be ok. Just cover yourself with a periodic and list limitations and non compliance issues in that. You could give elecsa a ring and ask there advise to put your mind at rest. I do feel that governing bodies dont give us enough support in situations like this. They just see everything in black and white when clearly the real world (Your situation being case in point) has very many grey areas where without support or clarification the decent sparks as little option but to play the safety shot and walk away. Enter the cowboy I can sort that mate no prob, Naaa course its safe. :(

`i had this the other day a friend of a friend wanted a shower putting in they explained they had an old fuse board so i said you would need a new board they understood ok

without checking the job i got the board tails cable etc for what id need

i turn up and it was a ceramic board with rubber cables and no earth in any cables and explained i cant do it because of the cables and they didnt seem to belive me and that i was trying to rip them off

i also told them that the light switches should be changed to plastic ones as they were the metal fancy ones and had no earths in again thinking i was trying to rob them

does anyone know how old these ceramic boxs are as iv never seen 1 before only heard about them

had this a couple of years ago when i went to fit a couple of downlights. Explained the problem to the couple, said i would quote for the work to be done if they wanted me to, but also suggested they get a couple more quotes.

They were happy with mine and went for the work. It is tricky but think you did the right thing.

Money was not a problem for them, just disruption. The lady was quite disabled so going away whilst the work was carried out would be out of the question and they really did not like the idea of it going on around them.

Did not know the electrical safety council gave grants, would like to know more about this if you have any information or a link. Cheers

Money was not a problem for them, just disruption. The lady was quite disabled so going away whilst the work was carried out would be out of the question and they really did not like the idea of it going on around them.

Did not know the electrical safety council gave grants, would like to know more about this if you have any information or a link. Cheers

If you work carfully there shouldn't be to much disruption mate, the couple i worked for both had parkinsons, just made sure everything was A1 before i left.

Reply to Old People With Shocking CCTS! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net