Discuss Old switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Phillcbr400

I've come across this switch on a rewire and with abit of tlc I think would look nice in my outhouse :)
It there any current regs tho that won't allow this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 105
i`v got a collection of old dolly switches...some are very old....you wouldn`t be using them though as they just have these brass screw on fronts that can just twist off....its open contacts inside..theres no flash guard in them either plus no point to earth...
more a collectors item really..
the ones in the pic look like some kind of grid switch....as has been said...test first to verify the movement functions as it should...and as long as you can terminate the CPC to the shell...good to go...

Nothing wrong with that switch apart from the paint on it, I literally have connected thousands of them up, well hundreds and hundreds and never known one go faulty, better than half the crap they sell today.

They look like the old MK mk 1 series grid, they tend to crack and arc on discharge lighting unless x2 rated, the worse that could happen is they could weld up or burn out. If they haven't done already, probably best to use new ones, it'll save you the job of replacing them in the near future.

It's all working fine and switches are stiff and sturdy. I think It looks abit retro. I've got a new mk grid switch that I could use but this looks better. Oh and it'll def be getting a lick of paint (white).

The old gear was sooo much sturdier than today's rubbish. You only have to look at a switch from even the 80's to see how much less material is in each unit now.

The old volex round bakelite switches in my parents house have been installed and used every day since 1961ish, most are still serviceable, a couple of the crabtree ones I have replaced have failed in 8 years.
Speaks for itself I suppose, by that logic get that b***dy switch on the wall quick lol!

I've got a single double pole switch the same aswell on this rewire, i think that will have to be used aswell, it's nice for things to match :)

Reply to Old switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net